+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Algal ORGANIC uptake of C,N,P in INORGANIC N&P limitation.

Banned
    May just be because your screen isn't working right. Some exudates from algae can propagate other algae growth (as well as there own). There is lots of documented evidence that algae exudates can increase or reduce other types of algae growth. Have a look at my Allelopathy thread. The "Terms of engagement" will change if you can get green to grow. The Hydromentia horizontal systems report N and P in the 30parts per billion range, and algae just about persists, so the levels attainable in aquariums may be a bit of a red herring, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    Some are brown (only tips blue) , some others are pale
    Then I would look at the placement from your lights first. I find that brown is usually to many nutrients and or to little light. Pale is the opposite. Altho some corals can turn brown with to much trying to protect them selves from the light. So I would not add any aminos and look at your coral placements first.
    Not sure but it might be a good thread to start to get better help with this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
    Then I would look at the placement from your lights first. I find that brown is usually to many nutrients and or to little light. Pale is the opposite. Altho some corals can turn brown with to much trying to protect them selves from the light. So I would not add any aminos and look at your coral placements first.
    Not sure but it might be a good thread to start to get better help with this.
    Probably good info, but in Kotlecs case were trying to understand why his algae screen is wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Probably good info, but in Kotlecs case were trying to understand why his algae screen is wierd.
    Do you think that amino's should be tried if the corals look like they are getting too much at the time?

Banned
    Were only talking tiny amounts to get his algae going. Of course, this may have no relavence to his problem, I accept that. That's what experimentation is all about.

Exactly.
    I hang on every fresh idea with hope to solve my alien screen and overall tank problem. I have feeling that something is lacking or in excess , but cant find out what exactly. I had periods when nutrients where kept at extremely low levels , I had also period with reduced light with negative or no effect .
    My feeling that those two (alien screen and pale - brown corals) are somehow related only goes stronger every day. I can very well be wrong though.

Banned
    This seems to agree with me;
    http://www.ecomii.com/science/encyclopedia/algae

Many photosynthetic algae are also able to use organic substances (such as hexose sugars and fatty acids) and thus can grow in the dark or in the absence of CO2. Colorless algae obtain both energy and carbon from a wide variety of organic compounds in a process called oxidative assimilation.
    posted this on the wrong thread, sorry. Has relavence though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information