+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Canvas and Mold-Release Wax Coating

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    After hours of searching and asking around, I can't find anything about wax being used in the Mfg process of the screens we use. As a test, I have a few sheets of brand new screen laying around. I boiled a large pot of water and then soaked the screen in the water for a few minutes to soften it up. If there was in fact any wax or oils it would have released in the 200+ degree water and I should have been able to easily spot it on the surface of the water, but it was crystal clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics_extrusion

So, Santa Monica, since you made the statement, can you provide proof that the screens we use have what you say is on it?
    Strangely, I did the same searching Ace. I came up with the "Bollocks" theory. Ie "what wax".

Banned
    Well after seeing SM's new signature banner, it all makes sense now. Still bollocks though about the screens.

Banned

Banned
    Well I spoke to a couple of people and one of them contacted a chemistry guy (a teacher or professor, I believe). He said to "submerse the net [sic]. Boil in water. You won't see wax dissolve. Let water cool to room temp and you will see wax crystallize out of the water as it cools"

Trying this as we speak

Banned
    Well, confirmed. Total BS.

Like everything else I've ever put on line in the system, they get a good rinse with vinegar and hot water. Wax and all should be removed with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    After hours of searching and asking around, I can't find anything about wax being used in the Mfg process of the screens we use. As a test, I have a few sheets of brand new screen laying around. I boiled a large pot of water and then soaked the screen in the water for a few minutes to soften it up. If there was in fact any wax or oils it would have released in the 200+ degree water and I should have been able to easily spot it on the surface of the water, but it was crystal clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics_extrusion

So, Santa Monica, since you made the statement, can you provide proof that the screens we use have what you say is on it?
    I believe any of the plastic products we utilize have residue from the manufacturing process - that includes oils and other chemicals. Most every protein skimmer directions say to rinse with vinegar and/or hot water prior to use. Just a basic principle to employ when integrating a foreign material into a reef system.

Banned
    Thanks for confirming it Floyd. Always good to have multiple people try things to confirm or deny results.

Here are 2 vids that speak for themselves. If there was any type of oil or wax I should have been able to at least see something on the surface when it cooled.

Banned
    Yep I had a piece that was 3x4 and submerged it in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes, held it down with a fork, then "slid it out" along the edge so that it wouldn't possibly allow the wax to cling back onto it, then I let it cool all the way down to room temp and saw nothing at all on the surface.

I think it's very safe to say that there is no wax residue on these screens.

Administrator
    Also, the screen is made from slippery plastic, so as to allow sewing needles to pass through easily. It might even be the no-stick PTFE that cutting boards are made of.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information