+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throwing out an idea

Throwing out an idea

While reading threw the threads and with the discussions about dieing roots I had an idea. Make a small light box using some of the cheaper LEDs and attaching screens to the outside and continue to run as a normal double sided waterfall design. This would insure there is always light supplied to the roots. I don't really have the tools, talent or money to build it but maybe it will give someone else some ideas.

I'm not sure dying roots should be an issue. Algae don't have roots and algae uptake nutrients thru their membrane. The the screen should be removed sooner for cleaning if the mass gets thick enough to either cause the mass to detach or when the mass starts to yellow. Chlorophyll is what makes alga green. When they're yellow they're not as efficient in nutrient uptake and are probably dying.

Bud posted pics of alga growing on a screen in comparison to the alga growing on my screen. The alga on his screen was yellowed at the center where the lights were most intense. The algae then started to grow down and away from the light source where it could work more efficiently at feeding itself. The alga on my screen was a dark green along the entire length of the screen. I think it would be safe to say, darker green is better for consuming nutrients. If the light is too intense, it bleaches algae just as it does corals. To me, that would seem to make some sense. My opinion is to just remove and clean the screen prior to that occurring?

These of course, are my opinions

going on the assumption that by adding light on the inside of the mass there would be less need for more intense lights on the out side of the screen. I'm really new to ATS's and find myself constantly playing with designs.

Banned
    Side lit / edge lit was a brainchild idea thrown around on here years ago and recently also. LEDs penetrate very well so it's not so much of an issue IMO.

We refer to "roots" because there isn't really a better term. "Base of the algal mat" or "growth substrate attachment point" etc, "roots" is shorter and easier to type

My LED array is the old version which had a single full-power blue in the middle , which causes the "burn" spot - not really a burn spot, but actually light saturation (what I used to call photoinhibition, which is not really accurate) but the concept is the same, not enough nutrients being assimilated per the amount of light available.

I'd say there is still a fair amount to learn about why one type of algae is dominant over another given certain conditions. So we have to be somewhat careful in drawing conclusions about the what/how/why regarding one type of growth vs another, especially when discussion 2 completely different systems. For now all we can do is share as much information as possible and let the chips fall where they may. I'm really starting to get away from drawings any definitive conclusions, even with all the information out there. There are just too many variables. All we can do is develop the best guidelines possible and see what the results are. I only wish I had time to study it all!

I agree Bud. The alga on each screen in each different tank can certainly be of a different variety. I didn't think you thought algae had roots, but some might think they do from the discussion.

Each system is different, at different stages of maturity, different volumes, different bio loads, feeding, lighting, etc. I think the important factor is that the screen is the location where micro alga choose to develop rather than the display tank Any alga growing there is removing nutrients from the water column and can be easily exported and provide a better chance for success of the system. Measuring the efficiency of an ATS is near impossible. The only measure is visual but that is also subjective. For even if the levels of nitrates and phosphates are low or near undetectable, attributing that to just the ATS is probably not prudent. It's more than such as plain old good husbandry and likely many different factors, some of which we might not even know - such as the particular rock in the tank - one batch of live rock might be better than another at harboring denitrifying bacteria and we'd never know that. It's things like this that make each system different and why some experience strange issues that others don't.

I'm happy I'm trying out an ATS on my tank. It's something I hand't tried in the past. I've used Berlin, Jaubert, DSB, reverse UG and had varying degrees of success and failure with all. I've said it before, if somone knew the perfect recipe then it would already have been packaged and sold on *bay

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information