+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: scrubber effects on alkalinity?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick28 View Post
    I think maybe high ph levels on the screen may cause precipitation into calcium carbonate? That combined with small but numerous calcifying animals on the screen? I don't think the algae itself keeps any alk maybe a little calcium.
    Why do you say algae does not use (keeps) any ALK? What would it consume if it does not use (keep) a carbon source. Maybe I am not fallowing what you mean????
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Why do you say algae does not use (keeps) any ALK? What would it consume if it does not use (keep) a carbon source. Maybe I am not fallowing what you mean????
    I believe the mechanism is carbonic anyhydrase algae grabs bicarbonate removes carbon releases hydroxide and it reforms at the surface. Corals inbed HCO3 in their skeleton causing depletion

Ok, so we are the same thinking. In the end the ALK (carbon) is used by algae. I am never low on CA seeing I dose saturated Kalk.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Ok, so we are the same thinking. In the end the ALK (carbon) is used by algae. I am never low on CA seeing I dose saturated Kalk.
    yes but its returned 100%, I'm trying to find out were the loss is coming from that people complain about im guessing its calcyfing animals on and under the screen those little white shell animals that stick to everything that are removed during cleaning and high ph on and around the screen causing precipitation.

I can't remember who did it but I want to say GARF, found the precipitation of phosphate on the surface of algae, calcium carbonate may also precipitate taking some bicarb with it. At least its precipitating phosphate.

If its (the returned carbon) anything like DOC then the bacteria will consume it and so will coral.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

If its (the returned carbon) anything like DOC then the bacteria will consume it and so will coral.
    yes, but I'm talking about the hydroxide (OH) release going to the surface and rebinding with the airs CO2 to form new Bicarbonate (HCO3) keeping equilibrium with free hydroxide and CO2.

basically how kalk works. (As long as you don't overdose or add too much too soon)

The precipitation on the algae may create an aragonite like compound if the PH is driven high enough by photosynthesis on its surface.

I even have two fans blowing on my water fall scrubber and I cannot really say I see any type of equilibrium as I hoped to when this method was first discussed a couple years ago or so. In theory I really thought I was onto something when I started this dosing Kalk and newly added fan with my scrubber thing but I was wrong. I have however saved a TON of cash using this method of homemade Kalk. I am not sure the OH makes it past the bacteria in my tank (40G breeder open top). I know what you are saying but I dont see this happen at all, even in my covered 150G. I kinda gave up on all the high tech reads on this stuff and just stick to doing this method because it works for me because what is suppose to happen does not in my tanks. So I have chalked it up to the bacteria consuming this left over material. I am not sure how long the OH can stay in its current form all the way to the surface anyway, surely something else reacts with it or something like bacteria consumes it.
    Also be sure not to mix up basicity with alkalinity.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Administrator
    I have seen the holes in the waterfall screen filled in with a lime type material sometimes.

I have heard of alkalinity loss in scrubberless, refugiumless tanks as well. Corals do take up more alk than calcium

calcium carbonate is about 60/40 by weight bicarb (3 oxygen, 1 carbon)to calcium(1 calcium).

If you search some of the web forums people seem to complain about alk dropping faster (common problem).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information