+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Algal Mat Fluid Dynamics

Banned
    Seems putting a plastic cover directly on to the algae mat on an ATS, like the picture shows, would inhibit gas exchange? I understand what you are trying to do, I just don't think that is going to be the best route to achieve it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Seems putting a plastic cover directly on to the algae mat on an ATS, like the picture shows, would inhibit gas exchange? I understand what you are trying to do, I just don't think that is going to be the best route to achieve it.
    Im hoping the screen aeration will sort out the gas exchange problem. The squeezing action provided by the plastic sheet may actually push more aerated water deeper into the screen, and increase the effect of the bubbles on the screen. Obviously, failure is always an option with my tests

Banned
    12 hours in and it certainly looks like its squeezing the water through;

Banned
    Garf, how wide is your screen and how much GPH are you running over it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Garf, how wide is your screen and how much GPH are you running over it?
    13 inch, was 2500 ltrs but not checked it recently. Mat is about 20 to 25mm thick on this side. Cleaning due on Monday.

This is before putting the sheet on;

Banned
    Ok so 2500 LPH = 660 GPH, across 13" wide screen, you're at the 50 GPH/in flow rate. That's what I was going for. I am noticing that when you really increase the flow rate across the screen, the growth seems to jump dramatically. This has led me to conclude that the 35 GPH/in of width guideline is good for starting the screen up as the higher flow can prevent attachment, but when you get a base of growth on there, you can really crank up the flow and the algae will stay attached. It may even anchor better, because it needs to (it adapts)

Banned
    Okay Dokey, cleaning day. Initial thoughts were, damn this algae is attached to the screen well (resorted to using a steak knife). Then weighed harvest, got 340g which is about 20% less than normal. Coincidence ?

9 day side (no plastic sheeting)

18 day side (with plastic sheet)

The plastic has only been on for 3 or 4 days so gonna do it again for a full 9 day cycle.

What about adding one extra pipe maybe half inch size on each side of the screen with a bunch of small holes pointing to the screen that constantly spray water towards the screen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information