+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pulsed flow

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    The fact that the surge tube needs to be submerged is something I had forgot. I tried it with a chopped up old skimmer and it would surge for a few minutes then stop. However the end of the tube was not submerged. I've still got the bits for that, so that's another option I've got
    Nice!

Banned
    Technically, I don't think the outlet pipe really needs to be submerged, but it definitely needs to be lower than the "high" water level, and then it must be able to close off flow and become a full siphon. This might be achieved by putting a reducer on the outlet so that when flow starts, it seals off the pipe and then starts to purge the air from the pipe.

Banned
    Has anyone noticed an upsurge in interest for horizontal scrubbers since this statement a month ago?

Pulsed flow

Found this, and I'm a bit concerned

http://www.enst.umd.edu/files/KangaD...ce Article.pdf

According to the calculations from a single sided, pulsed flow system, these regularly produce 50grammes dry weight (2.5kgs wet weight) growth per square meter per day. Have done an approximation of my growth and it works out at 500grammes wet weight per square meter per day. I think you'll agree, I've got comparatively good growth compared to others. So why is its productivity so low compared to a single side horizontal? The only difference I see is laminar flow compared to pulsed flow. Thoughts please
    Post#1

Banned
    Well it certainly has piqued my interest. I think all of this forward progress made in the last 5 years or so warrants taking a step back and asking some fundamental questions. Plus, I'm going to order Dynamic Aquaria and read it finally.

Banned
    Right, got my pulsed flow set up working. Its a Horizontal and it'll soon have a couple of special features including a laminar flow baffle plate, special 3D screen and adjustable screen height platform,just for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Right, got my pulsed flow set up working. Its a Horizontal and it'll soon have a couple of special features including a laminar flow baffle plate, special 3D screen and adjustable screen height platform,just for starters.
    Any news of this?
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Banned
    Not on here, see the "banned" under Garf's name? you can find him on my site if you want to contact him about what he's working on.

Banned
    Why in the world would a person who has contributed so much to this hobby and this forum get banned?????????????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information