+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pulsed flow

Banned
    I think I recall it. However Adey clearly states in other research that it's to back and forth motion that spurs growth. I think the skimmer would be minimum back and forth, maximum chaotic. Gotta watch out for bubble density also as skimmer ish bubbles would reflect, deflect lots of light. Looking at Adeys stuff a 1 inch layer of water against the screen is ideal.

What if you built it just under water surface or at surface and use one of those Tunze wave boxes? Would take a large sump and those boxes aren't cheap. But some of you seem to have money trees in the backyard.

Banned
    Ok, 2 ideas:

1) A standard waterfall scrubber with a secondary inlet on the bottom/side that ties into the dump chamber of a CSS. The waterfall operates 24/7, and the surge from the CSS fills up the scrubber box temporarily, but very quickly. This action would lift the algae up and move it all around, then it would quickly drain/purge from the box and the cycle would repeat. Probably 60 seconds between surges maybe, depends on how big of a surge is needed to temporarily overwhelm the drain(s) of the scrubber box, and how big the pump is that feeds the CSS.

2) A submerged flag screen (still can't find that thread!!!) that has a bubbler along the bottom of the box under the screen, and inlet from both sides, tied to a SCWD or similar device.

I would try these, but right now my money tree is funding my need to dig down to the foundation of my house to find out why it is not draining properly, which results in 1500g of water in our basement after 3 days of rain every spring.

When making my sump change, got a ats in a side of the tank to the top, i connect With This SCWD
    This gave the water on ats every 60 seconds, With intervals of 60 seconds
    then really did not pay much attention to it, but if I can notice a Greater growth in the alga full month during That happened on the tank

Saludos

Banned
    Has anyone dared to use a paint roller tray, for a horizontal screen base. I'm thinking about using the flow of my waterfall to provide laminar flow, but with a "bubble box" stuck underneath it to provide a bit of opposing flow which should cause turbulence. I've been looking at an old screen I've had in the sump and about an inch under the water algae growth is phenomenal. It's actually covered the surface of the sump behind my waterfall screen. Basically I think I'm gonna put a horizontal underneath my waterfall and see if the change in environment causes different growth, diversity.

Banned
    Tebo, I would HIGHLY recommend you moving that computer power supply away from the water. They are not sealed and will pull it humid salt air easily. That picture scares the crap out of me. I don't think I would be able to sleep at night out of fear of a fire starting. The meanwell driver is fine.

When all the hype of the UAS came out and I almost got caught up in it. I was thinking of using one for it. I have a very sturdy plastic one and thought that the slant against the glas would force the air and water through the algae more. Also being wider at the bottom would have allowed me to put my drain righ into the bottom of it filtering all the water from overflow.
    I keep thinking about a horizontal because it's much easier for me to make it quieter than my waterfall method and seem to get the same amount of growth from either.

Banned
    I think a 'simple' method for making a horizontal that works decent would be to put 2 small powerheads on each end of the tray and use something like a Hydor controller so the powerheads pulse back and forth. Seems easier and quieter than using a dump style setup, although more costly. Thinking about it a little more, if you placed the powerheads on the outside of the tray and the bottom of the tray is flush with the surface of the water in the sump, you could drill a hole in each end of the tray for the powerhead to stick through (thinking a MJ1200 style powerhead) and put a small PVC manifold on each end/inside the tray to spread the flow out evenly. The water would then just overflow over the top of the tray into the sump, and if the walls of the tray are only an 1" tall or so it should still be almost silent. Just throwing out ideas as they enter my head. LOL

Back to Tebo's pictures.. is that your sump in the pictures? If so, how do you handle power outages/sump from overflowing?

Banned
    I was gonna have it float under the waterfall, but SM posted a floating scrubber so decided not to go down that route yet and have it fixed. Perhaps the bubbles off my waterfall screen will give some turbulence. Only one way to find out I suppose

Banned
    Would a solenoid valve on the drain work?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information