+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Garfs Horizontally Opposed Scrubber Test

Administrator
    You probably don't want bio balls, but if you did use them like this, they might grow algae themselves. Could try it though.

I guess your right. So instead I should make the scrubber in a separate chamber on my sump right ?

Administrator
    Probably a good idea, but if you could post plans or explain it better, it would help.

The idea is to make it as easy to clean as possible.

This is how my sump looks now. I will have to make some kind of a new compartment or something for the algae scrubber, or I can place it on the side glass

Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	4973

subirimagenes

Administrator
    You could do an overflow-fed style upflow scrubber, which then drains down on the balls.

Why not just omit the bioballs? You wont need them unless your bioload is absurdly large.
    I would seriously consider omitting the filter media also. As it collects wastes it will turn into a nitrate/phosphate factory. Think about how a standard coffee maker works, but replace the coffee with fish poop and you have yourself a good representation of mechanical filtration. You could manage the wastes by cleaning the media a few times a week but it is a lot of effort. A better idea could be to have the effluent flow from the tank go straight to a cryptic filtration area (a dark area with LR that will grow NPS corals, sponges and cryptic fauna in general) before heading to a scrubber.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information