+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Skimmer functionality when running a scrubber

Well I did it. I bought a skimmer. A BM Nac-7. Skimmers have come a long way since I owned one. Got a deal on it. Dropped it in sump. Made bubbles like nobodies business. Settled down after a day.

Having lost five fish in one night and a a major algae breakout for some reason unknown made me buy it. And after only a 5 gallon water change on a 90 gallon system with 20 gallon sump. Things are looking up, really up. Corals are open again, algae going away and the last of my fish are out and about again.

Amazingly quiet this skimmer is. I plan on building another sump with sections in it as compared to with none in mine now.
    Question. Would skimmer go first or scrubber? I see some people have them on timers and only run them for so many hours a day like a scrubber. Good idea or not. Seems they only do it for energy conservancy.

Anyway. Happy I got the skimmer. It seems to have saved my system.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    Question. Would skimmer go first or scrubber? I see some people have them on timers and only run them for so many hours a day like a scrubber. Good idea or not. Seems they only do it for energy conservancy.

Anyway. Happy I got the skimmer. It seems to have saved my system.
    My .02, I run my setup with the skimmer first then the output blowing in front of the scrubber pump. This is working well for me. I tried running mine part time but my tank looks better with it running all the time.

Aye... I thought of that. Running a Herbie and putting the intake to skimmer at bottom of pipe and then as you said. Scrubber pump at the skimmer exit. Currently feed scrubber from overflow and like knowing all the water passes over it. Trying to figure out how to get as much flow through both as possible.
    Thought about leaving scrubber fed from overflow and putting skimmer in same chamber as it too once I find a good deal on an acrylic tank to rehab into a sump.
    This skimmer is so quiet I don't even know it's running. 24/7. The wattage on it too is really low. heat wise enh! But not worried about saving energy.
    Don't know if it's cleaner water, more oxygen or what, but things seem better for sure.

I put my aqua-c urchin skimmer online when I first read this and left it for a few weeks just to see what happened. The skimmer took a few days to "break-in" then it started to make lots of green skimate. It only made the skimate for about a week. After that it just made light tea collared water. during this time of skimming my algae did grow a bit faster than normal. My displays water looked a little more "sparkely" but my corals spent much more time closed , and my pod populations wear on the decline! I took the skimmer off line last week and put it back in storage where it has been for the last 5 years I know this is not a skimmer vs scrubber thread BUT I am sold on the scrubber and my skimmer will be getting dusty as it sits in storage! Hope this helps!

Well it's quite obvious that what a skimmer does is remove microflora and microfauna, which forms the ecological basis of life.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    I put my aqua-c urchin skimmer online when I first read this and left it for a few weeks just to see what happened. The skimmer took a few days to "break-in" then it started to make lots of green skimate. It only made the skimate for about a week. After that it just made light tea collared water. during this time of skimming my algae did grow a bit faster than normal. My displays water looked a little more "sparkely" but my corals spent much more time closed , and my pod populations wear on the decline! I took the skimmer off line last week and put it back in storage where it has been for the last 5 years I know this is not a skimmer vs scrubber thread BUT I am sold on the scrubber and my skimmer will be getting dusty as it sits in storage! Hope this helps!
    Interesting info and so I thought it would be nice to have a thread of peoples findings of running with and without a Skimmer thread.
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...3206#post33206

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information