+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer functionality when running a scrubber

Banned

Skimmer functionality when running a scrubber

I wanted to get some discussion going regarding changes in skimmer functionality when running a skimmer and a scrubber.

I recall reading people mention that their skimmer tends to skim less, lighter, etc after installing a scrubber. The mantra of the past has been the desire to get rid of the skimmer in place of the scrubber. However I have shifted my feeling on this issue. So hopefully those of you who run both can chime in with some before and after type experience.

Things like - does your skimmer:

Produce more or less? (I guess this depends on settings...)

Produce lighter or darker?

Act more tempermental, or is it more consistent?

Etc...the latter was one that actually caused me to start this thread. 2 of my customers have noticed (on 3 tanks total) that their skimmers have "calmed down" - meaning, they can adjust to a set point, and the skimmer will stay there, whereas in the past they would get more erratic output like overflowing and bone-dry skimming, with no predictable pattern.

Yes my skimmer is running unusually consistent in a scrubbed system. Not sure if it is because it is cleaning up algae at the time or not?

I would say that the skimate is medium colored. I have the foam head higher then I did without a scrubber. So I'm also finding that it is skimming less and that the foam is also very stable.

I'm running both of my setups with the water going to the skimmer first. Then the scrubbers inlet is at the skimmers output where there is a bunch of micro bubbles going into the scrubber. Then I have a carbon reactor with Rox8 last. This is doing as good of a job at cleaning the algae in both of

I have a Pro Clear Aquatic skimmer which I noticed is only one setting. After I made scrubber the first 4 weeks the skimate produce was very dark colored and not to much in volume. Now after four months the scrubber is growing a more light green algae and skimate produce is more in volume but is a very light brown colored, like when you add water to coffee; the smell is not as strong as before.

Banned
    Thanks for the info elveloz

All skimmers have a setting function, it's just that some are better than others. For all intents and purposes, it is the only setting on every skimmer out there - changing the level of the water inside the skimmer body, which is done by restricting the outflow. Not to go too far off the topic, but from a google search it looks like yours is adjustable by extending or shortening the outflow pipe, which looks like it has a coupler of some kind on it, so if you wanted to skim more, you would raise (extend) this pipe. Others might perform this function with a gate valve or ball valve, but it's the same end effect really.

The other thing that is important for consistent skimmer functionality is to have it running in a chamber with a constant water level - without that, your skimmer will skim more heavily with a higher water level and less with a lower level as the level inside the skimmer is also relative to the water level outside of it, and the difference in the 2 levels is mandated by the pump head pressure (more so on gate valve controlled skimmers than output level control skimmers).

So back on the topic...is yours running in a constant level chamber/etc?

So back on the topic...is yours running in a constant level chamber/etc?
    Yes, it's running in a constant level water. The chamber has a water level mark and the water is at the mark. I bought the tank used with all the equipment and the outflow pipe came like that. I use to own an Octopus but I like this one more, is so easy to clean! The sump has a constant water level too.

I have noticed more skimmate production, which could be the result of the skimmer's new-found consistency. I haven't had to mess around with the water level setting inside the skimmer for months. Usually what happens is my skimmer would start to over flow and I would have to dial down the water level inside the skimmer. I'm assuming it has something to do with more 'junk' in the water, because after a water change I have to raise my water level settings again.

Banned
    I had to read that a few times. So what you are thinking is that without the scrubber, the skimmer would "act up" as more time had passed since the last PWC, then when you did the PWC, the skimmer would "calm down", forcing you to raise the level in order to get it to skim. Right? Then, as time went on, you would have to lower the level as the water got "dirtier".

So the net effect of the scrubber is that it keeps the water more consistently clean, allowing the skimmer to keep working at an even pace. This would make sense I think. What it might also mean is that the skimmer might be actually functioning differently.

The idea of the past is that the scrubber and skimmer serve different functions. While this is undoubtedly still true, there likely is some crossover. So if the scrubber picks up part of the job that the skimmer was doing, this would allow the skimmer to "concentrate" on other aspects of it's function.

Could it be that not only to "skimmers help scrubbers breathe" (another thread) but also that scrubber help skimmers....umm....looking for a word here....besides "skim"...

The skimmate production before had a lot of particles (thick) very dark and not enough volume, have to clean skimmer every week. Now skimmate is extremely light and like 70% more volume and I'm cleaning every two weeks but I easily can clean it every three.

Banned
    You know what I think Floyd, so I'll keep my response to

Banned
    Dude, you must keep that link permanently on your clipboard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information