+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer functionality when running a scrubber

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    That is one factor that I didn't think of that might affect the skimmer function - placement of the skimmer in relation to the scrubber.

To answer the question, I would have skimmer first so that aerated water hits the scrubber and provides CO2, this theoretically should reduce a scrubber's tendency to deplete CO2 out and then uptake Alk
    I have a different reason for the placement of my skimmer. I put it after my ATS (which is on my overflow). My reasoning is that algae releases oils, lipids, etc... and all those things are skimmable. So my thinking is 'scubber first to remove what it can, then skimmer to remove what the scrubber creates'. That was my thought process.. but I am not claiming either way is better or worse than the other, just different lines of thinking went into placement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rygh View Post
    A few months ago, my scrubber pump jammed without me noticing, and scrubber died.
    So my tank went from good scrubber, to no scrubber, to recovering scrubber, and eventually back to good scrubber.
    I did not notice any difference in my skimmer at all during that time.
    Although I was not actively checking of course.

I don't really see why a scrubber would directly effect a skimmer.
    Scrubbers slurp up ammonia and nitrates, which skimmers do not touch.
    My bet is that effects are secondary, such as if you have a scrubber, you may feed more,
    which increases skimming of course.
    Although perhaps some dead bits of algae falling off the scrubber are hydrophobic?
    ...but the opposite seems to be the majority case, add a scrubber and the skimmer skims less.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    I have a different reason for the placement of my skimmer. I put it after my ATS (which is on my overflow). My reasoning is that algae releases oils, lipids, etc... and all those things are skimmable. So my thinking is 'scubber first to remove what it can, then skimmer to remove what the scrubber creates'. That was my thought process.. but I am not claiming either way is better or worse than the other, just different lines of thinking went into placement.
    So there is logic to doing this either way. Perhaps having the skimmer and scrubber inlet and outlet both in the same chamber, just kicking water back and forth at each other, along with some influx of tank water would be the best way!

Be good to set up 3 identical systems (water only) and position skimmer first, skimmer second and no skimmer. Dump same amount of nutrients into the water and test for a period?

Got home today (day 5 of my new waterfall install) to find my skimmer over flowing

This skimmer has run stable for the entire time I've had the tank (2&1/2 yrs).

I adjusted the skimmer to off and still had this

Video
    (Deleted sorry - cant work it out but the stills show it all)

The section where the skimmer is has a stable water level but I had to raise the skimmer 2inches to get it to stop overflowing.

???????

Snoops

Banned
    Was your scrubber brand new, as in bare screen, no growth?

Yes, I just installed a new one

Here's my build thread
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-Semi-Scrubbed

Banned
    Rather odd. One possible explanation is that if you went to brand new plastic canvas, this is usually a food source for bacteria (as is most soft plastics) and until you get growth started, that's what it will do - feed bacteria. So your skimmer might have reacted to the change in bacteria levels? Not sure...could have been sometime else I suppose...

Sounds more plausible then my thinking

I was thinking it could be something to do with more oxygen?
    But not sure why other than making a wetter skimmate somehow?

This morning the skimmer was still working ok (how I left it last night)
    I'll report back on any more fluctuations at the new higher level the skimmer is now at.
    Snoops

Just on the bacteria idea - does the plastic mesh get eaten away over time (like bio-pellets do)? If so then this could definately be the case.

Snoopy

Banned
    I don't know that it does, but I know that when I put unroughed mesh anywhere in a tank (like for a strainer, bubble blocker, etc) it becomes a slimy mess for a few months, then that goes away. I can only think that this is bacteria eating away at the surface of the mesh. On one screen I used to get the long slimy dinoflagellate type algae, but that could have also been diatoms as the also grow long and stringy. They eventually seemed to have disappeared. Incidentally the same stages seemed to occur with the use of egg crate for similar purposes (strainers, baskets, etc)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information