+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer functionality when running a scrubber

Banned
    Yup

LOL, whose that?

When I start my new ATS my refugium going withered (Coulerpa) ,
    I am afraid if I use iron cause would be produce a lot algaes, is that right?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	refug.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4270

Administrator
    No, iron will not produce algae.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alum View Post
    LOL, whose that?
    Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen)

Quote Originally Posted by alum View Post
    When I start my new ATS my refugium going withered (Coulerpa) ,
    I am afraid if I use iron cause would be produce a lot algaes, is that right?
    Did you post this on the wrong thread? This thread is about how scrubbers affect skimmers.

Banned
    I noticed my skimmer produced more when it was almost time for the screen to be cleaned. Then less for a few days while the screen got full again.

My theory is that the scrubber would produce additional aminos and vitamins that the skimmer removed.

I cant compare pre and after ,because I added skimmer after scrubber. But there's what I noticed. :
    Skimmer produces A LOT of foam. No matter how I adjust it - skimmate is always light color and almost no smell . Only its volume is changing. Foam head always looks clean - almost sterile. No yellow or brown tint that I can often see browsing pictures on the forums.

I added skimmer to help "scrubber braethe" and also having feeling that ATS is not removing "something" what should be removed. Possibly skimmer is to small, as I did not notice any difference over tank after skimmer addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I had to read that a few times. So what you are thinking is that without the scrubber, the skimmer would "act up" as more time had passed since the last PWC, then when you did the PWC, the skimmer would "calm down", forcing you to raise the level in order to get it to skim. Right? Then, as time went on, you would have to lower the level as the water got "dirtier".

So the net effect of the scrubber is that it keeps the water more consistently clean, allowing the skimmer to keep working at an even pace.
    Yeah, pre-scrubber, I constantly had to adjust the skimmer. Post-scrubber, consistent skimmer function with predictable skimmate production.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen)
    Did you post this on the wrong thread? This thread is about how scrubbers affect skimmers.
    sorry OOT.

what I think is they are has different functions.

IME my skimmer is producing a lighter color skim and less of it since adding an algae scrubber. I have the sca 301 skimmer, it is set up in the first compartment of sump and my scrubber is in the third compartment. I have also had to adjust my skimmer to nearly the max setting in order to get the amount of skim that i get.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information