+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbies always have the dumbest questions

Re: Newbies always have the dumbest questions

I set everything up last night and got pictures which I'll share a little later. Right now however, I'm dealing with a couple of issues. The biggest issue is that my slit is constantly getting clogged from (irony) chaeto pieces that are still floating around my tank. The other is my light being splashed on but that's from the water coming out the hole I cut in the side for overflow if the screen ever got clogged. I can clean it out and it takes about an hour before it clogs again. I guess I'll have to cut the slit a little bigger? I'm also dealing with keeping the container holding the screen upright but that's going to be fixed with some creativity. You'll understand when I get the pictures posted.

Back to my question on dechlorinated tap water.

Since they say when mixing saltwater, it's best to let it mix for 24 hours before use, and they say that to get the chlorine (not the chloramines, that requires treatment) out, to let it sit in the open for 24 hours then it's safe to use, however in saltwater, there's other nutrients and elements from tap water that can cause it to be problematic, even when treated. The question of whether or not you could use treated tap water with an algae scrubber in place makes me think, it would probably be best to use RO water for top off, but to maybe go ahead and have an additional scrubber, dedicated to the mixing salt/tap water? Not sure how to start it being seeded and to have continual growth, but it's just a thought. Maybe the scrubber for it's weekly cleaning, if portable since some are just in a bucket, could be moved over to the mixing water for a day which should clean the pods off, probably kill some and clear some of the algae off, which then should produce enough additional ammonia to feed the algae while the new water is mixing. I certainly don't know, just throwing some thoughts out there.

Administrator

RODI is always best for top-off. Anything else is just experimental.

You can't run a scrubber on just the top-off water... would not grow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information