+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Wave Makers

Cheap Wave Makers

Banned
    Nice, got links for these products?

Banned
    Ahhh, fish-street. Home of the Jebao WP40...awesome!

Banned
    So I had to skip through your video, but it appears that both of these have a mechanism that causes the rotation. I imagine a gear system of some kind, the flow spins a propeller, etc. Is this correct?

Talking abaut cheap.. hehe

here kind of experiments:

Banned
    I have tried both of them. The second one in the video in the first post looks like a chinese knock off of the 'Hydor Flo'.

From my experience, unless you do bare bottom, they don't work. 1 grain of sand jams up the plastic gears. Here is a video of a modified Power Sweep powerhead I made many years ago. I just put it in my 60G real quick to take make a video of the Power Sweep powerhead with a Hydor Flo attached, modified with a Koralia magnet (it came with suction cups that don't hold and sags, and with the powerhead if it isn't exactly horizontal it won't sweep back and forth). I use it in a 10G clownfish fry tank just for weeks 3-6 of the babies. After week 6 the babies go into a 29G grow out tank with a Koralia 1050 powerhead.

Never really had any problems with any of them,the Chinese knock off Hydor Flo one sometimes stops spinning and all I do it pull the front off it and rinse It under the tap and it works fine again,there are some little plastic cogs in there that jam up from time to time with crap. The other one I just clean now and again just for the hell of it but its never once stopped working,but I cant see any plastic cogs inside that one,I think it just runs round in a grove

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    So I had to skip through your video, but it appears that both of these have a mechanism that causes the rotation. I imagine a gear system of some kind, the flow spins a propeller, etc. Is this correct?
    Yes small plastic cogs

The Dazs thing does look just like the hydor rotating cover thing.

The rotating eductor thing looks interesting, but based on the video I think you might need a higher back pressure rated pump. Maybe an Eheim 1260 fed right up close to the eductor.
    A standard (non rotating) eductor on a 3/4" feed from a 1260 in sump, pumping up about 3 feet should put a noticeable chop to the water. I think if you get enough flow into that rotating one, you'll have a nice storm of flow. But ace might be right about the lifespan on gear wear, I assume the eductor would be just as prone...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information