Thread: UAS design for FW

UAS design for FW

Hello,

I currently have a 60 gal tank, housing:

1x 10-11" Asian arowana
    5x 5-6" Golden tinfoils
    3x 3-4" clown laoch
    1x 3" discus

My feeding regimen is around 10-20g per day of homemade fish food at the moment. will be increasing food intake as arowana grows.

i will be upgrading my tank to a 5'Lx2.5'Wx2'H roughly 180gal tank, with that i will be converting the current 60gal tank to a sump. the sump system will be running on a fickle tower of bioballs down to 20+litre of K1 media, overflowing to Ceramic Rings then hopefully to my a UAS then back to main tank. will be posting pics of the idea when i am able to post it.

my inquire is regarding the LED lighting for my UAS. since im having a hard time trying to provide a double screen, i think the best thing i can do is have 2 screens of 10"x14" in my 2nd last sump compartment before the pump compartment filled with Coral Chips. what is going to happen is that specific compartment it will be split into 3 areas with underflow dividers. front area will be the first UAS, mid section is biofilter media and the back compartment is the 2nd UAS(this is the best design i can come up with).

anyway back to the LED. i was wondering if i am able to use this type of light.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-2W-3W-...item2ec4991666
    refering to the 3w version. is the 3w refering to each led bulb or the whole thing in general?

Regards,
    Jad Mcgravy

This is the design of my sump 3rd and 4th compartment
    Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	4342

the water flow is from both bottom of each corner flowing up the UAS then overflowing to the mid compartment which will hold more BIOlogical media of CR and Jap mat. the water will then continue to underflow to the compartment divider before overflowing into the pump compartment.

Hope this is understandable

Regards,
    Jaddis Mcgravy

Administrator
    Welcome.

The 3w is for the whole bulb. I'd get the largest one.

Block light from reaching the airstone, and use sliced airline or drilled tube instead.

For FW, the long think algae strands will let go, so make sure whatever comes after the scrubber can be cleaned easily

Banned
    I would not even bother with those lamps - they are going to be way too weak. You need much stronger ones.

thank you for your replies.

Referring to my drawing, is the design workable or do i need to make changes to it?

Regarding for the bulbs, that bites that the bulbs is much to weak. then what would be the best recommendation for the bulbs that i could use other than LED that can be fitted in less than 10" of area?

Regards,
    Jaddis Mcgravy

Administrator
    Try the "UFO" grow lights... about 40 watts.

just checked out the UFO grow lights. i found a few that of the lights meet my requirements but have to say the price range is sky rocket.

owh yea. which would be a better system for FW, UAS or the waterfall. or both are rather the same.

with the algae tending to fall off, would be using filter wool after the UAS slow down the sump water flow. since having a UAS compartment, when the algae drops off, at what duration am i looking at before the fallen algae die and decompose? hope that was understandable.

Administrator
    A longer but narrow design for FW would let the algae stretch out before getting eaten or stuck in a sock.

If you want to feed algae to the fish, an upflow would do that at the top.

Wool will not slow sump flow unless it clogs up. Will need to clean it twice a week.

This is my second design, based on the light watt and not wanting to spend too much on lighting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	4343

Planning to use mirrors for the grey area but still unsure of the bottom part, might not be much of a use having a mirror there. With this design, i will be using 12"Lx15"H then from that compartment overflowing to the pump compartment. will probably be using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/90W-LED-Grow...item1c33021205
    the lights will be placed at the circular area.

any other comments or recommendations are welcomed.

will these full spectrum make a difference? dont really understand about the full spectrum and all.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-90W-LED...item3a8133b7bf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information