+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SURF2 and SURF2

Administrator
    Attachment 5578
    Attachment 5579

Luis Iarossi on the IPAQ site, translated from Portuguese by google: "Earlier this year the glass of my [DIY] algae scrubber (Model Basso) broke. Due to lack of time and manual skills, not tinkered with skimmer and was only for a few months. decided to spend a little and bought SURF2 of Santa Monica, which measures 20cm x 15cm by 15cm x 10cm outside and inside (area for growth of algae). model is interesting because it is small and is floating in the sump. With that much space gained by removing the previous ATS. SURF2 installed but a few days after my skimmer pump has gone bad. In two weeks the ATS already started forming algae and I played without skimmer for almost one month, only with ATS. Even then parameters were normal. These are photos from yesterday, two months after installation. Already cleaned the box twice and am already almost needs to take algae again. algae that formed in my display during the relax (without ats and skimmer) have gone missing. With the lid closed does not make any noise. You hear only if they get too close"

Original text: "No início do ano a placa de vidro do meu algae scrubber (Modelo Basso) quebrou. Por falta de tempo e habilidades manuais, não consertei e fiquei só com skimmer por alguns meses. Resolvi gastar um pouco e comprei o Surf2 da Santa Monica, que mede 20cm x 15cm por fora e 15cm x 10cm por dentro (área para crescimento de algas). O modelo é interessante pois é pequeno e fica flutuando no sump. Com isso ganhei muito espaço ao retirar o ATS anterior. Em 01/05/2014 instalei o surf2 mas poucos dias depois meu skimmer deu problema na bomba. Em 2 semanas o ATS já começou a formar algas e eu toquei sem skimmer por quase 1 mês, apenas com o ATS. Até então os parâmetros estavam normais. Essas são fotos de ontem, 2 meses depois de instalado. Já limpei a caixa duas vezes e já estou quase precisando tirar algas novamente. As algas que se formaram no meu display durante o período de relaxo (sem ats e skimmer) já sumiram. Com a tampa fechada não faz barulho algum. Você ouve apenas se chegar muito perto."

Administrator
    "The [SURF2] has really taken off" -- Reefindownunder on the scrubber site:

Attachment 5621

Administrator
    "I recent removed bio-pellets, GFO, and trimmed off a lot of macro algae. Oh yeah, overfeeding now to try and bring up my phosphates. Since removing a bunch of nutrient exporting systems like bio-pellets, GFO, and a second algae scrubber, my Surf2 has been growing nuts. It's been less then 7 days and I have to remove more. People are surprised when I open up the Surf2 and show them what I pull out with one hand" -- ReeferEric on the R2R site. pic:
    Attachment 5695

"I stumbled upon [a SURF2] and took a chance ordering one. They are a really great algae scrubber" -- Reeffirstaid on the R2R site.

"I pull a handful out every week [SURF2]" -- Choff on the R2R site.

Matthew Coulthard SURF2:
    Attachment 5696

Administrator
    "Bought the SURF2x, absolutely love it! Would never run a system without a SantaMonica scrubber again!" -- Tannum_Paul on the MASA site.

Odilon Zerecero SURF2x from Mexico:

"Working perfectly!! [SURF2x] -- Cristiano Amaral in Brazil

"I have a SURF2 the same manufacturer and it is impeccable, it keeps me PO4 zero distributing 3-4 cubes of food per day" -- Eric75003 on the RF site

"Its a great product!!! [SURF2] I run mine in conjunction w/ a skimmer and cannot run both 24/7 because I cant feed enough to keep at least a little Nitrate in the system for the Acro's" -- TDTA1181 on the R2R site.

"I run one of these and quite like it. Getting similar results to a typical refugium I used to have that was about 6 times the size. I went to this product basically to buy myself some sump space back and couldn't be happier" -- Sam Parker's Tank Of The Month on MASA:

Administrator
    Here are some SURF comments without pictures:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ll=1#post40155

Administrator
    This similar but more-light SURF2xx is shown here floating for its first day in the sump of a large cylindrical saltwater fish only tank maintained by Jim Stime / LA Fishguys.

The super bright white surfaces keep the algal roots alive when growth gets thick. And the LED light lid is shown in low power mode, with only 4 of the 8 LEDs on (too much light will reflect off of the white surfaces, and slow down new growth).

Also you can hear how the LED lid completely silences the bubbles. The sound of bubbles is always loudest when new, because there is no growth inside to muffle it, but once growth starts it will be quiet even with the lid off.

The first coatings of growth will be visible in about a week:

https://youtu.be/Z6C9kgYAY3w

Administrator
    "Here is pictures of my Only SPS system in KUWAIT, My system is running without any refugiums, chaeto reactors, Biopellets or any NO3 reduction dosing.. but running only with Surf2 algae scrubber, and reactor for GFO (Rowa) and another for Carbon. Usually I leave Surf until it is full and starts to die and become yellow, then I take it out to the garden and wash it with fresh water with slightly high pressure so all dead algae falls out easily and the green one stays inside then I return it to the sump with 10% water change ... usually this happens every 2 to 3 weeks cuz my system is ULNS" -- Mohammad Abdullah in Kuwait...

Click image for larger version

Name:	UasMohammadAbdullah-1 small.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	7640 Click image for larger version

Name:	UasMohammadAbdullah-2 small.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7641 Click image for larger version

Name:	UasMohammadAbdullah-3 small.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7642 Click image for larger version

Name:	UasMohammadAbdullah-4 small.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7643

Administrator
    Growth before harvest, of similar SURF2xx:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmA7ZxpO7uE

Administrator

Administrator
    Customer's SURF2 or SURF2x floating on a saltwater display. Can't tell which model without looking at how many red lights there are in the lid though.

It's a large surface area display, so the Surf does not block the display lighting. Of course you could also float it in a sump.

Surf models, like our Hog and Drop models, can't overflow like box-style waterfall scrubbers, which often overflow even with an emergency drain (we invented the box-style in 2008).

And like all of our blacked-out designs, all light is kept inside. you can even sleep next to it. Try that with a box-style waterfall.

And of course, no 240/120 volts or metal ever goes near the water. Just low voltage, high PAR LEDs. Highest PAR of any scrubber light per square inch of growth surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	surf2 floating and harvested.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	7927

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information