+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SURF2 and SURF2

Administrator
    There are actually many more things needed; but only light, flow and attachment are controllable.

Banned
    Makes sense with regard to the nutrient availability bit. Could do with a few pictures of successful Upflow Algae Growing boxes. I know Floyd has one but I don't think he likes it?,

Administrator
    As I get pics by email, I'll post them. Here is Dexters Reef from RC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UasDextersReefOnRC-1.jpg
Views:	5552
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	4874 Click image for larger version

Name:	UasDextersReefOnRC-2.jpg
Views:	5639
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	4875

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    There are actually many more things needed...
    Of course there are. Attachment was a good call in this instance - it's relevant. I did not mention it because diatomic marine algae does not always require it. But it IS relevant to this case - growing algae in a SURF2.

So what other relevant things might there be for this discussion - growing algae in a SURF2 - beyond attachment, light, flow. nutrients and attachment?

Administrator
    Thousand of organics, and some inorganics, which you can't control or adjust.

How is that different than nutrients in the water? If the water's got what it takes to grow algae in and ATS, then the water should have what it takes to grow it with a SURF2. It should be that simple.

Banned
    Thousand of organics, and some inorganics, which you can't control or adjust.
    From Algae Scrubber Basic Thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=317

No, the algae on screen does not consume organics. If you mean dino's, they only grow the first day or two, and even then they are populating based on the newly available light, meaning they are acting as photoautotrophs and not hetero. They would not have grown with the light off, which hetero's can do. And only hetero's consume organic carbon.
    Seems you have changed your mind

Banned
    As I get pics by email, I'll post them. Here is Dexters Reef from RC:

Attachment 4874 Attachment 4875
    Any chance of asking him to test the dry weight ratio. It looks very "watery" to me, so in fact may be at the lower end of the dry weight scale, ie 1 or 2% dry weight mass. This would obviously mean that you need to grow 5 or 10 times as much for the equivalent nutrient removal of an algae at the higher end of the scale, ie 10% dry weight mass.

Banned
    I'm English and totally confused. On one thread you show pictures of successfull SURFS2 (?) and another the exact same pictures are described as failing due to iron deficiency. Excuse my ignorance, but the theory seems confused.

Administrator
    The SURF2 is now also available with a higher-power light that has 6 LEDs instead of 4. It is called the SURF2x and is available by choosing the LED option on the shopping cart page:

http://www.santa-monica.cc/product.asp?itemid=40

If you already have a SURF2 and just want the higher power light, you can get it here also by choosing the 6-LED option:

http://www.santa-monica.cc/product.asp?itemid=41

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information