+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brand new to this!

Brand new to this!

Is this the correct forum to ask questions? Questions such as:
    1) Is it ok to use 4 of the Philips Rebel 660nm using the HOG design with the microwaveable trays (or something similar)?
    2) Do I use 1 of the LPC-35-700's to drive the 4 LED's?

Rapid LED informed me that I need a minimum of 4 of these to use this driver. They suggested the moonlight driver if I just use 2 LED's. They would only be driven at 350mA though. Is that enough?
    I want to make the screen 24 sq in if possible. I have a heavily stocked 125 mixed reef and we feed the equivalent of 2 cubes per day (best I can estimate).

Banned
    If you are doing a HOG type UAS with a 4x6 screen, you would likely want at least 6 to 8 LEDs if they are at 350mA I would think, and they would need to be pretty close. I think even with 4 full power LEDs, the LPC driver might not work right. There are other drivers though, like inventronics, etc, that can drive fewer LEDs properly.

Check on the guidelines though. A HOG type UAS will be one sided, so 24 sq in will only be 1 cube/day and IMO UASs are underpowered for larger tanks - they don't scale up well. So you need to oversize it. Unless you have additional filtration such as a skimmer, carbon, etc, then you can get away with a smaller scrubber as it will be more complementary to the other filtration rather than primary filtration.

Same thought process applies to my waterfall scrubbers or any type scrubber in general - you can use several pieces of "undersized" equipment that add up to "larger than the whole"

Thanks Floyd! If I understand the e-mail from Rapid correctly, it's the moonlight driver that drives them at 350mA. The LPC-35-700 will drive them at 750mA but requires at least 3 of the 660nm LED's. Would 4 of those be too much driven at 750mA? In the meantime, I will check out the Inventronics one that you mentioned. I'm so new to LED's so Rapid is the only DIY website I have heard of. I have LED's on my 60 gal tank but those are Radions.
    I have a properly rated skimmer that pulls out some nasty looking skimmate and my chaeto completely fills my refugium in about a weeks time. I also run carbon!

Banned
    The LPC actually supplies 700mA of current. Steve's LEDs is where I would recommend you get your Philips 660s from, he stocks a specific one that is best, plus he's cheaper.

How many LEDs is too much or too little depends greatly on the larger picture...sorry for an ambiguous answer, but there ya go...

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    How many LEDs is too much or too little depends greatly on the larger picture...sorry for an ambiguous answer, but there ya go...
    Lol! I gotcha. Thx

Administrator
    Welcome.

The parts section for the HOG scrubbers on the shopping cart site sells the HOG drivers, which handle 1 or 2 LEDs at 700ma (although I think it's more like 500ma).

You'll want 4 strong LEDs, or 6 to 8 medium ones.

Better yet, build a floating scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome.

The parts section for the HOG scrubbers on the shopping cart site sells the HOG drivers, which handle 1 or 2 LEDs at 700ma (although I think it's more like 500ma).

Thanks for the reply! Shopping cart site? Is that the Santa Monica Filtration site? I'm looking now.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome.

I'm having trouble finding this parts section. All I see are the units for sale and one kit for a HOG.5. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
    I'm still reading, but I don't understand how to seal the "electrical side" of a floating unit.

ETA: I found it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information