+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing question

Sizing question

All riiight!!!
    What a concept. New ATS builder here. I figure, why prevent algae when your reef truely needs it. Hence the beautiful reefs after the ATS are running. For some odd reason after reading the older screen/lighting requirements and figuring out the scrubber it was weird looking at the new requirements. The whole tank volume thing kept throwing me off. Yet, I have moved passed it finally.
    Ok, So I am moving into a larger reef tank and expect to feed 2 cubes max per day since I sometimes forget to feed due to work and I do dose "Reef Bugs" once a week or maybe a little longer. I'm planning on a 5X5 screen and using 23W CFL on each side and running for 9 hours a day. Correct me if i'm wrong. Also does it matter if it is the Floodlight type bulb or the spiral not in the floodlight housing with the right size reflector for the screen?

Glad this site is here and can't wait to get things up and flowing.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Floodlight is better suited to get most of the light to the screen.

Thanks, I am super excited to get this going and finish the tank set up.

I was wondering what caused the change from the old sizing to the new smaller sizing. Did you find that over time with the Volume sizing that the algae growth dwindled after a while due to nothing being left in the water column to feed the algae? I can see how the new feeding size chart is more effective since you are taking out what we are putting in. I do like the smaller screens especially for home aquariums.

Administrator
    Yes that's part of the reason. Also because they really should be based on feeding.

Banned
    I've asked this before, but did this coincide with the elimination of yellow water, ie organic uptake?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information