+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flow rate for ATS?? 1 sided vs 2 sided flow rates??

Flow rate for ATS?? 1 sided vs 2 sided flow rates??

Hello.

My apologies if this info is posted somewhere but I looked extensively and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

The general rule of thumb (from what I've read) is to run an ATS at a flow rate of 35gph per 1in of horizontal algae screen. Is this 35gph in reference to a 1 sided or 2 sided ATS set up?? In all reality, if your running 35gph on a double sided ATS then truly your only getting a flow rate of 17.5gph per inch per side.

I'm running around 1000 gph on a 16 in screen lit on both sides thus giving me around 62 gph/inch and 31 gph per inch per side.

I see most ATS set ups are utilizing a mesh screen and the water then effectively flows through both sides, but if it is lit on both sides it would then have double the algea growth and IMO require the approx 35 gph per inch per side.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy

Administrator

Re: Flow rate for ATS?? 1 sided vs 2 sided flow rates??

All vertical screens should be lit both sides. 35 gph is for both horizontal and vertical designs. For vertical, it is enough to flow both sides. For horizontal, you want all the flow on the top side, to make more velocity, to make up for the lack of velocity of a horizontal design.

Your flow should be more than enough, if not too much. You might be push algae off the screen, so you need to make sure your screen is very rough and double or triple layer.

Re: Flow rate for ATS?? 1 sided vs 2 sided flow rates??

Thanks.

My screen consists of two layers of solid poly and a mesh screen layered over the top. I also roughed up the screen with the hole saw bit as shown in one of the FAQ links. If I find the algea isn't getting a good hold I'll turn down the flow a bit.

Appreciate the feedback!!

Jeremy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information