+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First LED Scrubber Coming In Strong

Banned
    Be interested in hearing an update on this one from "Mud"

I am using the same lamps (although on a two sided waterfall design) but suspect that they are underpowered rather than overpowered.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2019.06.39.jpg

I plugged them into a meter, and it said they were pulling 15 watts combined. I guess the 15 watt each rating is on 220, thus my 110 is half power.

I changed the black plastic canvas to clear after a couple weeks and eventually took it off. It seemed to help. The LED side grows dark green and even. The CFL side grows a little more yellow with large clumps of neon green hair algae.

How far are your lights from the screen? Mine are about an inch away.

I put a surge device on my frag tank so the water over the scrubber slows to 200gph over the 10-inch slot then surges at about 550gph (30-second cycle). I think the algae likes it, but I don't think it's something to go out of your way to do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I plugged them into a meter, and it said they were pulling 15 watts combined. I guess the 15 watt each rating is on 220, thus my 110 is half power.
    Do you have a link for where you bought them from?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post

I changed the black plastic canvas to clear after a couple weeks and eventually took it off. It seemed to help. The LED side grows dark green and even. The CFL side grows a little more yellow with large clumps of neon green hair algae.

How far are your lights from the screen? Mine are about an inch away.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they're working out.

I'm in the UK so mine are on 220v - don't have any way of checking the wattage but they don't seem very bright (I had them over a lit fuge type arrangement for a month before and they grew next to nothing but they were perhaps 6 or 8 inches away)

I now have them about an inch away from a two sided screen. Only the 2nd week but it seems to be filling in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Do you have a link for where you bought them from?

Dunno about Mud but mine were on Ebay (UK site). Shipped from China.

Still listed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013Newest...item3a7f171645

That's them. I got them from DH Gate, which is a Chinese importer, I think.

I put one over my betta bowl for a while. The plants loved it, and my blue and red betta really was looking good under those colors. I had less algae than with my typical 13w 6500k CFL, too. I want to order more, maybe some with lenses, and do a freshwater planted tank with a combo of CFLs and red/blue LEDs. I think it would look bomb.

Banned
    the second pic on that link says AC 85-267V so it would appear that it should be as all LED drivers are, universal voltage input. Why a single lamp would only pull half power on 120 is odd. It just doesn't work that way.

meaning power doesn't work that way. If the LEDs draw 15W, that means the output of the driver is 15W regardless of the voltage. That is the purpose of the current driver.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    the second pic on that link says AC 85-267V so it would appear that it should be as all LED drivers are, universal voltage input. Why a single lamp would only pull half power on 120 is odd. It just doesn't work that way.

meaning power doesn't work that way. If the LEDs draw 15W, that means the output of the driver is 15W regardless of the voltage. That is the purpose of the current driver.

They're Chinese. Go figure.

Cheap though, and if they work.... so what?

Yeah, all I know is Amps X Volts = Watts, lol. Electricity is not my area of expertise.

As for wether or not they work, I'm not entirely sure. My display tank algae is dying off, but my egg crate algae is going strong (typical for egg crate even in a scrubbed system?). I keep some cheato around just as a test. Some weeks it grows, some it doesn't.

Seachem Nitrate test consistently reads 0.1-0.5 and API is bright yellow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information