+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to transport algea from old to new screen

how to transport algea from old to new screen

I am starting my new scrubber with a different screen size so I have to use a new screen.
    The new screen is hanging in my sump for two weeks and gets a little light from my scrubber there is some cyano on the screen now what is the best to do hang it in like that ore some pieces of my old scrubber screen attached to the new one and start it up like that because my sps dont like it to much if the scrubber needs 2 ore 3 weeks to start up.

Thanks
    Eric Jan

Banned
    The best way is to install strips of the old screen on your new screen. Make each strip only a few rows wide and alternate sides, leaving a gap on the opposite side (like the vertical members of a yard fence). Then attach them with small zip ties or fishing line. This will allow the old screen to continue to grow, giving you at least partial filtration, and then will seed the screen around it with that growth. Let the screen grow as long as you can (10-14 days) and clean it very lightly, with only minimal exposure to tap water (along the top edge, to prevent algae growth primarily). Leave the strips on for at least a month, and take them off a few at a time. You might be able to remove some strips after a few weeks, depending on growth

Thanx Floyd
    I will do it like that and post pictures as it grows.
    greetings
    Eric Jan

Day five there is some green in between the strips of the old screen that i attached on my new screen.
    no3 & po4 still not going up so for now it looks still oke
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG443.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	4543

Administrator
    using a white light for the picture would help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG449.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	4545Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG450.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	4546

oke white light looks better?
    installed last sunday now on friday it looks like this.
    for now the leds burn for 18 hours because i need fast filtering for my sps corals.
    there is some cyano in the tank now hope its gone soon.
    greetings
    Eric Jan

Banned
    I think you are getting too much light in the center - looks like it is "burning" (technically, it is photo saturation). If you can, back the LEDs up a bit, do that, otherwise you need to reduce the hours to 9 or 10 per day until the screen gets enough growth to be able to handle the longer photo period. Or, you can put a diffuser plate between the LEDs and the screen and leave the hours at 15-18. This diffuser material is the same as what is used in a fluorescent recessed ceiling fixture. Bumpy on one side, smooth on the other. Bumpy side goes toward the LEDs (it doesn't really matter though).

If you start seeing problems with the SPS corals while you are waiting for your screen to get up to speed, use some activated carbon.

I turned it to 10 hours now lets see what happens.
    I am not able to putt the leds further away the are about 5 a6 cm from the screen and the screen is 22 X13 cm with 10 leds on each side burning on 350 ma that is half power butt the green on the photo is on top of the screen where there is no direct light so burning is possible.
    thanks for helping.
    greetings
    Eric Jan

Banned
    There is light on that area of the screen, but it is on the fringe of the intensity. The level of intensity in front of an LED is related to the off-center distance as well as the physical distance. So right in front of the LED, it is the peak of intensity, and then it drops off as you go further off center. The level also drops as you increase distance, but mainly because of the light spreading out more. Directly in front of the LED, the intensity doesn't change as much when you increase distance a little bit, because it is a focused point source instead of a spread source (like CFL).

So the light level if probably about right where the green is...

Administrator
    Let it grow 14 days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information