+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bubble algae out of control in scrubbed tank.

Administrator
    Perfect

Up until day 3 the screen was growing totally green, then when I checked it that night the outside algae was starting to yellow, probably because there was almost no water running over the outside layer, so I took it out and cleaned it again.

I have been removing all the algae I can around the outside edge of the screen, including the slot area, then going over it with a heavily serrated knife, think bread knife with up to 3/8th serrations in the blade. This is trimming the algae pretty short, but leaving a base layer in place.

Then I scrub and rinse the pipe and false bottom with tap water, clean out any algae in the box and then put it all back together. I have not been rinsing the screen at all.

Banned
    Sounds good. You might be right about the yellow algae being due to water flow. As the algae mat grows thick, the water passes under it (through the mat) and that results in that algae 'bleaching' a bit. I get some of this on one of my scrubbers but it stays wet enough in the flow so I don't worry about it, unless it turns white it's still alive and growing, just maybe not as well.

6 days and the algae had become overwhelming enough that my scrubber was JUST starting to overflow. I think I only got a couple cups of tank water on the carpet. I cleaned off the screen just like last time and got out my holesaw and a 1.5" bulkhead I had laying around and enlarged the scrubber drain, I will try to post pics tomorrow when I am not on my phone.

Banned
    Oh cr-p. Well someone has to be the first to have their unit overflow - at least as far as I know. cloged both drains? You must have had a LOT of algae growth dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Oh cr-p. Well someone has to be the first to have their unit overflow - at least as far as I know. cloged both drains? You must have had a LOT of algae growth dude.
    This was 100% my fault. I startarted this cycle with the flow turned up so high that the side "safety" drain was flowing at almost 100% compacity and then didn't check on it for 6 days. Those were both bad ideas on my part.

Here is what it looked like, keep in mind I have VERY fine hair algae, not the larger spongy stuff that fluffs out more. So while this may not look like a ton of algae in the scrubber it was packed wall to wall both directions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130702_152040 (Mobile).jpg‎
Views:	278
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4533   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130702_152045 (Mobile).jpg‎
Views:	294
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	4534   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130702_181335 (Mobile).jpg‎
Views:	289
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	4535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130702_181732 (Mobile).jpg‎
Views:	281
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	4536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130702_181743 (Mobile).jpg‎
Views:	271
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	4537  

Been having an issue with bubble algae too. Not to your extent. I just scrape them off. May get an emerald crab to work on them too. I have one huge bubble that the neighbor kid calls the crystal ball so I leave it alone. Pretty cool looking actually. Looks like your scrubber has great growth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information