+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ph drop

Ph drop

Hey all, has anyone ever noticed an ATS causing Ph to decrease? I have been having a hard time getting my Ph over about 8.2 with heavy Kalk and Mag dosing, to the point of seemingly harming my hammer coral. I just assumed it was the way my tank was (I have used an ATS since day one so I never saw a difference)...still a bit of a newb to reefkeeping...but recently a friend of mine installed a scrubber and she has noticed a significant drop in Ph as well. Apparently she is now having a hard time keeping it above 8. Any ideas? Does the green algae produce a lot of CO2? Enough to lower Ph in a 125 around .4 in a couple months?

Administrator

Re: Ph drop

Scrubbers increase pH, by removing C02. The reason your pH may be dropping is probably because the screen is not getting cleaned every 7 days, and thus the bottom layers are dying and going back into the water.

I personally clean my screen every week, don't know about my friend. I seem to have lass of a problem with it than she does though, perhaps I'll suggest that to her and see what happens. She does have many more (and larger) corals in her tank than I do, so is it possible that they have become healthier and have increased element intake to the point that its effecting her Ph? Just spitballing here.

Thanks

Administrator

My next guess is poor circulation in the display. All the extra copepods (and broken-off pieces of algae) from the scrubber are settling in the display and rotting. Test this by adding a filtersock and then blowing/vacuuming all the stuff off the rocks and bottom; if the pH goes up the next day, then that's it. Add another powerhead in the display to kick up stuff from the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information