+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upfloat Scrubber!

Banned
    I also think that they only need to stick out about 1-2 cm (up to 1"). Any longer than 1" (on a vertical screen, at least) and it seems they would just lay down too easily.

I'll be adding more tomorrow - think i'm going to use cable ties, the ribbon is a pain in the arse as i had to tie each bit on. Should be getting a 400l/h air pump in the next few days too, got a 200l/h at the moment. I think i've read that bigger bubbles are better than small?

I should have added that i took the MJ1200 pump out last week and i'm just using bubbles (and whatever flow is going through back chambers....minimal at best!) so pleased algae is still growing. Plus losing the pump is helping keep the tank cool in the heatwave were having here in the UK!

So i harvested today, what was apparent is that the algae appears to attach best to the ribbon while pieces of mesh screen was second and cable ties(not roughed up) last. The algae was really quite tough to try and fully remove from the ribbon. So instead of adding cable ties i've added more ribbon. Also got my 400l/h air pump installed but haven't turned this fully up, plan to when i go to bed etc as too noisy when i'm watching tv! The harvest was 25g dry weight (fully squeezed of any water), i normally measure wet but it was stuck to screen so well i squeezed out some of the water trying to remove it.

Small side screen section
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (58) (Copy).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	4574

Main screen prior to harvest
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (60) (Copy).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	4576