+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: THICK peeling scrub with pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by importspeed View Post
    If I were to clean my screen fully I would suspect that i would need to clean it every 8-10 days because of less "seeding algae" left on the screen, but i will not do this unless i have to because it will not filter as well during the first 4 days.
    I totally agree with you on this. Somehow full cleaning comprises the regrowth period, at least for FW algae. Like you said, some seeding has to be there.
    - Andy

exactly and i need the best filtering i can get considering my screen is one sided. haha

I don't know if it's different algae or what. Like by species? I honestly don't know.

Before my algae was very thing hairs, that when I scrubbed off, they wouldn't stay in clumps any bigger than a quarter.

Now they peel off, in strips. Some strips wider than 4".
    Not sure if my water and fish "slime" additive is making it do this or not...

But the clumping is newish. Since I started my scrubber 4 or 5 months ago.
    And again, it's a different tank. Different fish/bio load. Close to the same ATS setup.

Ok so how the algae is acting now is newish. lol that was what i was asking. I also assume that it may be a different species but you could be right about it being one of the additives causing it to "peel". I personalty wish my algae would peel because it is a pain having to use a credit card to scrape what i have and then use a brush.
    As long as your parameters look good keep up whatever you are doing.

Previously, when my screen had bright green hair, they did grow thick, but did not peel.

Now, shifting to thick brown algae, I realise it peel off in sheets too.

It does look to me, that some sort of base layer has formed to hold the algae in sheets/clumps. Perhaps is due to age, that the algae eventually forms a layer at the roots to help cling on better?

@chris
    How much nitrates did you have before you had the scrubber installed and achieve a zero point?
    - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_cy View Post
    Previously, when my screen had bright green hair, they did grow thick, but did not peel.

Now, shifting to thick brown algae, I realise it peel off in sheets too.

It does look to me, that some sort of base layer has formed to hold the algae in sheets/clumps. Perhaps is due to age, that the algae eventually forms a layer at the roots to help cling on better?

@chris
    How much nitrates did you have before you had the scrubber installed and achieve a zero point?
    They were high when I first introduced the scrubber... I had to do periodic water changes.

For me, my scrubbers don't necessarily take nitrates down, they just maintain them so I can cut back on water changes by a LOT - if not ONLY add water.

But I've been in the 200ppm before, and I just did 50% water changes, and monitored the water quality during those times.
    So get nitrates to 0, then let the scrubber keep it low (for me 0-8 at worst).

Your scrubber is working at it's best. It's removing nitrates at a rate almost equivalent to the rate produced. My scrubber has a long way to go. I hope the new lights will help.

Any idea what's the rate of your nitrate production? I.e. nitrates read 200ppm, 50% pwc weekly, therefore your tank produces 100ppm per week.

I think mine produces 50-80ppm per week.
    - Andy

2 days with lights on for 24/7 and I can see more greens outgrowing the brown. But the greens are different, not the usual strandy GHA, they are stiffer and less 3D.

Tested my nitrates today and got a shocking 10-15ppm reading. Just before I started the 2-day 24/7 photoperiod, nitrates tested to be 50ppm. It seems like it does make a difference!

However, even if these algae don't need a rest, my LEDs do. Touched them and it was burning hot.
    - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_cy View Post
    2 days with lights on for 24/7 and I can see more greens outgrowing the brown. But the greens are different, not the usual strandy GHA, they are stiffer and less 3D.

Tested my nitrates today and got a shocking 10-15ppm reading. Just before I started the 2-day 24/7 photoperiod, nitrates tested to be 50ppm. It seems like it does make a difference!

However, even if these algae don't need a rest, my LEDs do. Touched them and it was burning hot.

As i was saying, I did not have any green until I switched my lights to a 24/7 photoperiod, I did not know you would have the same results but i am glad you did . I suspect that once your nitrates are below 5ppm you may need to give the algae some dark time anyway or make the screen smaller. I do not know for sure (I am still learning myself, just sort of makes sense to me)

Administrator
    All algae needs dark time. It's just that your lights are not too strong, and as one strand goes behind another it gets shaded. If the light were stronger, it would not get as much shade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information