+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hart's SURF2

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	4752

Horrible pic. It's short and clumpy but soft. There isn't tons, but it's spreading.

Administrator
    Well I don't see any in the pic, but if it's only on the rocks, then P is coming out of the rocks.

Not good pic, but it's right smack in the middle. The dark stuff. I doubt it's P coming out of the rock. It is ceramic vitarock and was put in at the same time as the scrubber, when the tank was 1st set up.

Administrator
    I think it is a sponge.

Haha, I would hope that by now in this hobby I could tell the difference between a sponge and algae! I have been dosing phyto for some small clams and that has spurred the algae growth a bit.

Figured I should give an update. I fear that I am no longer surf2 only filtration, I have added a fuge light and chaeto with gfo. Like I said before I started this on a rebuilt system with aquavita ceramic rock and no display issues but running the surf2 alone has not been adequate to stop algae from developing in the display. It started with a little turf in the photos and that has really gained speed despite manual removal and now bryopsis has appeared. I am leaving the surf2 online alongside the chaeto in hopes of getting this under control. The DT is a 65g and I feed 1/4 cube a day max. I have a huge clean up crew and a few with good cutting power like chitions and urchins but still the DT growth is too much and I don't want it to get even worse. Lights are reefbreeder LEDs. Perhaps running a skimmer alongside the scrubber would have produced better results. So from here on out I can't report results with a scrubber only system.

Administrator
    What are the tests?

I have dosed with Kent techM for the bryopsis so the mg is high as desired. Nice thing is that the bryopsis has already started fading in just a couple of days, but I pulled my carbon out and decided to wait on gfo until treatment is complete as both could pull the mystery compound that kills the bryopsis. Of course tech M will not have any impact on the turf but one battle at a time.

Mg = 1800
    Ca = 480
    pH = 8.25
    NO3 = 15-20
    Alk = 7.85 dkh
    PO4 = 0.11

For the longest time I had PO4 of 0.00 but never could get nitrates under 10ppm and the turf started growing. After that phosphates began to rise. Once the bryopsis dies off I will run gfo in there with carbon.

Administrator
    Well if you are still harvesting about the same amount, then that would be a reason. Really need a nice big handful.

On my 4 units, the one with the strongest bubbles growth the most every time. Maybe you can increase your air.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information