+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae and trace minerals

Algae and trace minerals

Hi, can anyone tell me if algae exports trace minerals, namely calcium magnesium iron etc, as part of its growth?

I know plants take in these minerals and convert into a non ionic form, not useable anymore. Since algae are a type of plants, and if they do uptake such minerals, will it be significant?

I am worried that the minerals in my tank are quickly exhausted by the algae on my ATS as it is growing pretty aggressively to remove nutrients quickly. Any insights or links I can read up on this? Thanks.
    - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_cy View Post
    Hi, can anyone tell me if algae exports trace minerals, namely calcium magnesium iron etc, as part of its growth?

I know plants take in these minerals and convert into a non ionic form, not useable anymore. Since algae are a type of plants, and if they do uptake such minerals, will it be significant?

I am worried that the minerals in my tank are quickly exhausted by the algae on my ATS as it is growing pretty aggressively to remove nutrients quickly. Any insights or links I can read up on this? Thanks.
    I don't know about nutrient uptake, but don't confuse algae with plants. Algae is NOT a type of plants. If they where they would not live in salt water since no plants can live in salt water...
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    Algae consume metals. So you may need to dose iron. Maybe iodine too. That's about it.

Thanks for the response.

What about calcium and magnesium? Those are metals too.
    - Andy

Administrator
    No.

Some scrubbers consume kh more than others. Potassium is used too. I dont know what massive usage is . Possibly Turbo Floyd will chime in.

Thanks guys. I was afraid that using it in the long run could cause certain kinds of deficiencies that I should be aware of.
    - Andy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information