+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What happened when you ran with and witout a Skimmer Thread!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post
    ....and possibly an air stone would do the same work...
    You can find out. Just adjust your skimmer to skim nothing, just spin bubbles around and see if it stays looking that way.

I think I over-skim. I have a 4-cube scrubber, and for the past couple weeks I haven't been feeding that much and it grows brown. I've also been messing around with vitamin C, which is a weak form of carbon dosing, hence the over-skimming. I need to stay away from that stuff and go back to basics. I kept fighting STN on my SPS by trying to make my water cleaner, but I think I really should have been going the opposite direction! I'm going to let the bags of carbon in my system become exhausted and then run without it for a while, cut back on my skimming, and let the scrubber bulk back up. I want to invest in a Hanna Checker to make sure that phosphates aren't an issue (never used GFO or anything, always just "trusted" my scrubber, but something somewhere obviously isn't working).

I'm also starting the Red Sea Colors program to balance my ions, minerals, and jazz. The fact that it's based on testing of I, Fe, and K as indicators of related elements appeals to me much more than some other trace element products on the market. I've heard anecdotal praise of K for solving a lot of SPS problems. The kit came with lots of free samples of Red Sea Reef Energy A and B, too. Maybe that can give my SPS the nutrition they need until the scrubber rebounds.

Mess7777, I've been thinking about putting an air pump outside my house and bubbling fresh air into my system. I would get a skimmer with a venturi to run outside, but like I said, I fear I'm over-skimming as it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information