+ Reply to Thread

Thread: light in sump good or bad?

light in sump good or bad?

My scruber is just mounted over my sump and a good deal of light spills into the sump causing a tiny bit of algae to grow in the sump. I was wondering if this was a good or bad thing? Part of me wants to add more light to the sump and the other part of me wants to cover the sump so its dark..what would you doo?

Administrator
    It's only "bad" if the algae in the sump lets go.

I guess what I SHOULD have asked is : Is it better to try and block the light and have the sump as a dark cryptic zone or let the light pour in and have the sump as kind of a lit fuge?

If you don't mind the light, I'd leave it. A bit of algae in the sump should let you grow bigger pods and such.

I would think that a good working scrubber would out compete the algae in the sump area. If not I would rather have it in the sump then in the display tank anyway.

My sump is basically an empty 20g long with a 2" bulkhead for a pump intake. I have always gotten black cyanobacteria from the light spill. I added a cheap 265gph pump to stir the sump up and help mix my two part additions. The extra flow helped with the cyanobacteria for sure, and the bits of algae that used to grow there are gone.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information