+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: red/blue led grow bulb

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome from Australia.

Although most China lights only actually have about 2/3 of the wattage they state, the 120w one is still way to much. You don't say how much you feed, but probably 3 to 5 cubes a day based on 22 reef fish. So although you could do a smaller screen than 10 x 12, if you use the lights you found, they would shine around (and miss) some of the screen. So 10 x 12 is fine.

The 30w one with multi LEDs works well; one on each side, about 5 inches away.

And the 30w version of the water resistant one works well; one on each side. 50w is too much, especially two of them on each side. You might have been thinking of CFL lights instead. LEDs only need half (or less) of the wattages for CFL or T5.

Thank you SM!

Yes, I forgot to mention that I feed about 4-6 cubes a day (1/3 morning and 2/3 evening).

That's really sounds good to be able to go with smaller size screen.

I might to go with the 30W multi LEDs with the increased 5 inches. Bigger distance from the acrylic sounds safer, maybe. Also, could I add a dimmel switch to adjust the intensity of the light if necessary?

The water resistant version wouldn't burn the acrylic? As you mentioned in the #48 post... "The back of the case, and the front glass, get too hot to keep your hand on. And the LED lens itself gets sizzling and will burn you."

Administrator
    Problem with smaller screen, is you lose light.

Can't add dimmers to these; dimmers must be built in. Just use a cloth over half the light.

I'm not sure if they would melt acrylic; you could add a silicone seal around it maybe, to keep it from touching. Maybe best to go with the multi-LEDs if they are going to touch the acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Problem with smaller screen, is you lose light.

Can't add dimmers to these; dimmers must be built in. Just use a cloth over half the light.

I'm not sure if they would melt acrylic; you could add a silicone seal around it maybe, to keep it from touching. Maybe best to go with the multi-LEDs if they are going to touch the acrylic.

Ahh, sorry. My bad. I thought instead of the 18"x12" screen I can use the 12"x10" that you mentioned. But if I go with the 30W multi LEDs, I can use a 12"x12" screen which is the actual size of the dimensions of the light.

In fact, I'm not afraid to burn myself. I'm just aware to cause fire if it melt acrylic. But the 5" from it should be safe enough with a small air-vent.

Thanks the useful infos SM. I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information