+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: red/blue led grow bulb

Banned
    That is about the most unscientific experiment though. Look at the beginning. He takes cellophane colored filters and puts them over each pod to filter out the other colors of light. That's no comparison to actually using specific spectra of LED or CFL, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    That is about the most unscientific experiment though. Look at the beginning. He takes cellophane colored filters and puts them over each pod to filter out the other colors of light. That's no comparison to actually using specific spectra of LED or CFL, etc.
    ahhhh I missed that. It does appear to be taken under sunlight though

red/blue seem to be most important based on everything i have researched but its confusing when you see experiments like the melvs reef bulb and very little difference between 6500k and 2700k scrubber growth.

do to the expense and difficulty to find red/blue bulbs its not worth the aggrevation

Administrator

This one any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2309807020...84.m1423.l2649

its red and blue

Administrator
    I think so it is if not too close. The single LED might be too strong if very close, which is why the ones I linked to before (with multiple LEDs) might be better because they are more spread out and could be closer to the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunter View Post
    This one any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2309807020...84.m1423.l2649

its red and blue
    I am using one of these [30 Watt] on a waterfall scrubber I have installed. It works fairly well. I am getting good dark green to medium green growth.

What I like about it is that you can move it closer or farther away from the screen as needed and don't need anything between it and the screen as it is basically sealed. It is not 100% waterproof, but is made to be water resistant.

I use a plastic bag over my screen to control spray which also works somewhat as a diffuser and slight light block. My screen is mature so I don't get any burning in the center, and good growth over the whole screen with it.

Administrator

Rleahaines
    I was wondering if you are still using the same light as in your post and also how large you screen is,
    Guess also if you changed up your lighting why?
    Thanks randy

Quote Originally Posted by Rmb0513 View Post
    Rleahaines
    I was wondering if you are still using the same light as in your post and also how large you screen is,
    Guess also if you changed up your lighting why?
    Thanks randy
    Still using the same light. Actually now two of them as I made my waterfall scrubber two sided.

The screen is 5 inches wide by 8 long with the lights concentrated on the top 4 inches or so - the screen is long enough to reach the water in the sump below to keep splashing down.

I have an effective 20 sq. inches on each side of the scrubber.

I have tried CFL's and some home made LED's - but in both cases I ran into problems with salt spray and possibility of water getting into the wiring. These lights are sealed, have enough power and easy to adjust. And the price is fairly reasonable.

Salt spray and water splash don't have any effect on them. I wouldn't put them underwater.

They are used commercially for outdoor lighting and deck lighting in areas where they can get wet. Basically weatherproof but not 100% waterproof.

Thanks for the quick reply wanted to see which size I needed to order up
    Thanks again Randy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information