+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dosing over the Screen

Dosing over the Screen

What are the effects of adding chemicals to drain lines that lead directly to the scrubber?

I would think that alkalinity supplements could burn the algae, or does it just wash across so quickly that no harm is done?

What about a slow drip of kalk? Does the higher local pH over the scrubber inhibit the algae?

I've always been too chicken to experiment on my own scrubber, but can't help to think that the drain line would be the best place to evenly disperse chemicals before they hit coral.

Banned
    Shouldn't imagine it'd do much harm unless you were going to pour the whole lot down in one go.

Personally I add it to the top off water which is on an auto top up thing so gets slow dosed (into the sump) as water evaporates.

I built a kalk reactor (leaky PoS) and had to keep my outlet higher than the reactor or else it would drain a little when it stopped pumping to stir. The issue became that the reactor was taller than my stand, so I couldn't add it to the sump. I finally just gave up on the reactor and am much happier mixing it manually in my top off water. I have a used electromagnetic dosing pump (over $1000 brand new) that I set to match my evaporation rate. It makes a click, click, click, click every time it pumps, but it's in the basement so I don't care

I stopped using my ATO float a while back, and I really can't use it now with the surge device, even though the frag tank absorbs ~90% of the fluctuation.

This is just one of those questions that has been floating around in my head for a while.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information