+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Corals not so brilliant

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    94

    Corals not so brilliant

    Hi I have been fiddling with ats for 1.5 yrs. My corals r not so brilliant
    now compared to the pre-ats days when I water change weekly. Of course
    I now water change monthly(that's the bonus ), but the corals r not as brilliant.

    Those that have lost some brilliance r GSP , zoas, rhodatics , mushrooms,
    Those that have maintained their brilliance r acan, candy

    Would appreciate your input, share experiences n theory.

    Some of my thoughts- should I dose trace element?( My regular
    regime is bi-carb, magnesium, cal. )
    I feed my fishes DAILY with pellets , mysis, tuna with spirulina n garlic-
    wonder if any trace elements get into the water ?

    Thanks in advance for contributing

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,790
    You mention all softy problems. Maybe your nutrients are really low.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    You mention all softy problems. Maybe your nutrients are really low.
    Please elaborate . Tks

  4. #4
    kotlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    710
    My zoas and mushrooms never looked good as well. Nice are only LPS and SPS birdsnest.

    What I have investigated is that for corals too low nutrients are actually bad. If your P lower than 0.02 and (or) n lower than 2 , your corals never look good enough.

    Trace elements also depletes. Boron, Strontium, Potasium, Jodine, Iron. Check them at least once and you will see what mess is here. At least it was in my tank. Boron , Iron and Jodine - undetectable !!! Potasium low. Boron dont have test but why should it be level when all other are not...
    To read more on this, find thread on RC that discusses DSR method. DSR is another way to go with no wc.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,790
    If your scrubber is working very well, the nitrate and phosphate might be too low to be used by the soft corals you said are having trouble. You should test.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    My zoas and mushrooms never looked good as well. Nice are only LPS and SPS birdsnest.

    What I have investigated is that for corals too low nutrients are actually bad. If your P lower than 0.02 and (or) n lower than 2 , your corals never look good enough.

    Trace elements also depletes. Boron, Strontium, Potasium, Jodine, Iron. Check them at least once and you will see what mess is here. At least it was in my tank. Boron , Iron and Jodine - undetectable !!! Potasium low. Boron dont have test but why should it be level when all other are not...
    To read more on this, find thread on RC that discusses DSR method. DSR is another way to go with no wc.
    i tend to agree with u. My sps has colored up green, pink n purple, wow i am surprised. But now to trouble-shoot on the softies.
    So do u dose trace elements?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    94
    Question is should i cut back 1hr light on my ats so that there is abit more N and P for the softies to color up?

    Am i on the correct thought process?

  8. #8
    kotlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by natureAddict View Post
    i tend to agree with u. My sps has colored up green, pink n purple, wow i am surprised. But now to trouble-shoot on the softies.
    So do u dose trace elements?
    I bought most of tests and preparing to take control over all trace elements. Was dosing I, Sr, K but without testing was too careful. Ended up at too low (undetectable) values.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    If your scrubber is working very well, the nitrate and phosphate might be too low to be used by the soft corals you said are having trouble. You should test.
    is it correct to say that if the ats is working well, so N and P is zero, there will be no nuisance algae n slime? this is the visual test kit

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    9,790
    Yes the slime would be the first to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts