+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PNY's almost floating algae scrubber - The Belgian Blue

PNY's almost floating algae scrubber - The Belgian Blue

Hi there!

After seeing the SURF2 algae scrubber sold by Santa Monica I wanted to try out the algae scrubbing myself... and here's some photos of my DIY water driven multi chamber almost floating algae scrubber in progress... I call it the "Belgian Blue". ;-)

/Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	pny_ps10179b900all.jpg
Views:	2231
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	4651Click image for larger version

Name:	pny_ps10426b900.jpg
Views:	1991
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	4652
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Banned
    Why "Belgian", when you're in Sweden?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy Pumpy View Post
    Why "Belgian", when you're in Sweden?
    "Swedish Blue" might have been more geographically correct, but "Belgian Blue" is more appropriate since it associates with the super cow "on steroids" with the same name (google it!)... With its triple chamber with 3,7 liter total volume this is supposed to be the "incredible hulk" of floating algae scrubbers... Its so powerful, that it does not even float! ;-)
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    Looks mean and green

The algae growing substrate in place... I started with a too coarse media that was difficult to glue. The end result is a mix of coarse and fine media. Wondering if the strings found on the SURF2 really adds any significant difference or if I can skip that part on my scrubber...

I hope to get my heatsink back, within a few days, from my contact that is doing some changes to it with his CNC, so I can go on with my build, adding the LEDs and diffuser plate to it...

Name:	pny_ps10450b900.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	4656

Administrator
    Growth usually starts first on the strings. And for FW the strings continue to grow very good.

Started working with the LEDs for my Belgian Blue almost floating scrubber...

LEDs tinned and mounted:

Name:	pny_ps10459b900.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	4659

What it might look like with light diffuser placed in front of the LEDs:

Name:	pny_ps10462b900.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	4660

Nice job

Where did you get that diffuser material from, I like the look of that ?

Its some kind of prismatic acrylic plate, I bought it from a private person in germany on ebay.

I've not yet decided if I should use a controller to be able to dim the light, thats maybe a must, since the amount of light this device outputs is just sick! Just look at it and get an instant eye surgery.

Name:	pny_ps10463b900.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	4664

The drivers

Name:	pny_ps10464b900.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	4665

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information