+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PNY's almost floating algae scrubber - The Belgian Blue

Administrator
    Start with 9 hours and lots of flow/bubbles and it should be fine.

I've got some problems getting the seal between the aluminum heatsink and the plastic diffuser watertight. I've tried twice now. The glue I am using attaches good to the acrylic but not as good to the metal, since it starts to leak after about a week. Any tips to get it watertight?
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    It just takes practice.

Considering screwing it all together using a silicon sheet as sealing.
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Banned
    If I'm understanding this right, it sounds like you need to anchor something to the perimeter of the heat sink face that will bond with the silicone, since the heat sink itself is not bonding to the silicone. As long as you can find something that you can seal on to the heat sink that will also bond with silicone. But then you have 2 things you need to seal. hmmmm...

I've tried seal it with silicone (for aquarium use) now... That will attach to the aluminum for sure... if it does not attach to the acrylic I can glue the acrylic to the silicone on the heatsink with the loctite glue I used before...

Banned
    Ahh, yes. I had that backwards. If the silicone sticks to the heat sink, and you can glue the diffuser to the silicone, that should work. At least I think it should....

Banned
    Why do you want it sealed? Is it just to reduce noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenchaos View Post
    Why do you want it sealed? Is it just to reduce noise?
    It must be sealed since it get in contact with the water...

Banned
    Cheers. My brain don't work the same as most folk, but why not suspend the light above the scrubber, and immobilise the scrubber base?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information