+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PNY's almost floating algae scrubber - The Belgian Blue

The Led fixture need to be close to the water to avoid the light to light up the entire sump area. It would not be safe to keep it unsealed.
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Things goes really slow... i've started dosing NO3 (to balance the PO4-NO3 uptake) and got some growth in the scrubber... looks like red turf algae.
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    I would not dose. It will just increase nutrients, causing darker growth.

Banned
    If you're feeding, you really should not have to dose N. I would test K first and does that (potassium)

Well, the algae scrubber isn't my only filtration for the moment... The biopellets+vodka dosing takes my NO3 levels down to zero, so I dose KNO3 to be able to also get my PO4 down...

Banned
    I would stop dosing the vodka, or at least back it off. Vodka and vinegar dosing seem to interfere with scrubber growth, biopellets do not so much.

I took a closer look at the algae in the scrubber today. Some of it looks like slimy cyano, some are red algae that sticks very hard to the strings it is growning on, and some looks very light/white (burnt?)... I think i have too much light since I have not yet fixed the LED dimming electronics yet... Parts ordered today. ;-)

Finally got my components for dimming control of my scrubber... I've added three knobs for controlling the LEDs for each chamber individually using the PWM outputs of an Arduino Pro Mini 5V controller. The individual controls enables me to do some experimenting with the light intensity when I have a good growth started in my scrubber.

I will try the scrubber with a bit less light from now on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	pny_ps10889b900.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	4924
    Belgian Blue Scrubber Control Box internals.

Name:	pny_ps10890b900.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	4925
    Belgian Blue Scrubber Control Box with three dimming controls.

Algaescrubbing doesnt seem to work with my tank at all...

After 3-4 months, all I got is some green coating in the scrubber... I've removed the biopellets reactor and stopped the ozone unit and removed all phosphate removers for months, I've cut down / stopped with carbon dosing for periods of time (Can't stop completely since my levels would rocket), tried one and two photoperiods, tried high/medium/low intensity lightning...

Name:	pny_ps120-0076b100.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	5204

Administrator
    Some more growth pics besides just one would help. Also did you check for pods?

How about a vid of the bubbles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information