+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PNY's almost floating algae scrubber - The Belgian Blue

No pods, but a bit of cyano bacteria... I have not harvest any algae since I started it about 3-4 months ago... I've just brushed it with a toothbrush every other day to prevent the cyano to build up and to remove any detrius on the bottom. I have both bubbles and water flow in one of the chambers and only waterflow in the other two... The one with the bubbles has just a little bit more algae around the top compared to the other two chambers. I have no algae in the display but I have a lot of algae eating fishes... (I will soon try to take a video of the scrubber)...
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    Sounds like weak light.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Sounds like weak light.
    I doubt that, since it is much stronger than the SURF2/4 lights if not dimmed down... The one thing left to try is to increase the mount bubbles. My scrubber has much less air than the SURF2/4 units since I thought water flow could be used instead. Maybe I was wrong, and the bubble itself has far more significance... The second option is that the water could be lacking something important such as iron, the tank has been up running for more than 5 years and water changes has always been on the low side...
    Tank Info: 1000 liter FOWLR/Reef (some corals), DIY glass "High-Tech" sump with ATO reservoir, 550W DIY LED, 5x Tunze Stream 610x, Laguna 6000 l/h return pump, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Almost floating UAS Algae scrubber, DIY Temp Controller, Avast Mutiny II Ozone reactor. 216 liter Reef Cube, glass sump with ATO reservoir, Ecotech Radion LED, DIY Phosban reactor, DIY Temp Controller.

Administrator
    If you are growing anything then you have iron. Also if you feed anything then you have iron.

If you have much less air bubbles than the videos you've seen so far, then that's the problem, because the videos so far are with minimal bubbles. The new SURF4 vids with 3X the air have a tremendous amount of bubbles.

Ok, I will give more bubbles a try...

reef r madness
    when i went into lfs and said im scrubbing my tank ....they laughed and said whats that.........im like wow ive been out of the hobby for 10 + years.....to me this makes the most sense....

They think that around here to until I bring them a water sample and tell them I am almost ready to do my 6-8 month 10-20-ish% water change. Then they want to know more and come by to take a closer look.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Increased bubbles but still very little growth...

Administrator
    What does the harvest look like

The algae in the scrubber is very dark, brown?, very hard to scrape off and with a texture like steel wool...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information