+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My SURF2 progress

Administrator
    I don't know. Just let it grow a week.

This is what my scrubbers look like now. Kind a brown and black. So I am taking that means a lot of junk in the tank and the scrubber is pulling it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg‎
Views:	253
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	4967   Click image for larger version

Views:	238
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	4968  

Banned
    So it's been well over 2 months now, have you tested your N and P? Instead of looking at the algae and drawing a conclusion about what might be going on, you need to run a test and find out where things are at. Because something is not working right.

P= .46
    Nitrate=25ppm
    Nitrite= 0ppm

Administrator
    You are now getting dark growth from higher nutrients; max the lights out now at 22 hours.

See that's why I don't do test. Because I already know my tank has high nutrients. But my light are on for 22 hrs a day for I think a couple weeks now.

Banned
    I would not say that your tank has overly high nutrients.

SM, you are directly contradicting what you state in your product description page, that the SURF creates a low-nutrient environment within a high nutrient system, and that's why it is capable of fast initial growth.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...taMonica-SURF2

First, the enclosed growth compartment increases the dwell time of the water and bubbles inside the unit so that they rub the algae many times before leaving the compartment. This actually reduces nutrients (nitrate, phosphate) to a level lower than the outside water, which allows greener growth to occur sooner (lower nutrients grows greener algae) inside the unit, especially in high-nutrient aquarium water. In other words, the SURF2 creates a lower-nutrient ecosystem inside itself which is different from the rest of the water in your aquarium.
    I also recall you stating elsewhere that the 14 days growth from day zero is in a tank with high nutrients. So at least we know that this type of growth process is not true in all cases. I have UAS units on 2 tanks with nutrient levels close to what you're running at Nizz and I get tons of GHA. So something else is going on here, there is value in testing.

I got the most growth out of my UAS units when I stopped feeding and let the scrubbes pull the nutrients down. One was able to pull N down to zero, but not P - it's still there. The other just really got going and it a temp system anyways.

So my suggestion is to cut your feeding down to almost nothing - tank/corals/fish in 'survival' mode, and let the scrubbers get started. Worked for me. My L2 UAS test unit never grew that great until I did this (I also removed the fish, except for a goby)

Well I stop feeding seaweed sheet for so the fox face, Sailfin, and Coral beauty would eat the algae on the rocks. All I am feeding now is 2 cubes of mysis a day ( 1 in the morning and 1 in the even ). They are the 3.5oz cubes. I guess I can just knock that down to once a day. I thought about getting the 1.5 oz cubes thinking I am feeding too much. Since I have a bangi cardinal, clarkii clown, and watchmen goby as well. But my Sailfin and fox face are pretty big. But I will try one cube a day and see if that helps.

Now some of the things I have changed. I was dosing dr Tim's waste away. Which I think cause the algae in the scrubber to disappear. But I am stopping as of last weekend.

I replaced the sponge filter for a filter sock (200 micron). I will be sucking up the detritus in the sump that the foam sponge didn't pick up. I guess I will see how it goes. I am sure I still have a long road ahead of me.

Administrator
    Well it was on the right road before; any help you can give it will help the GHA attach inside it.

Well I will report on Friday on how the scrubbers are doing and a test from the tank. But so far the scrubbers are getting really dark. So I think that's from the high nutrients. I tried to remove the detritus from the sump. So that will help things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	216
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	4974   Click image for larger version

Views:	214
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	4975  

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information