+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6 Inch By 8 Inch 1 Sided Scrubber

Banned
    I can't make any solid conclusions at this point, but that seems to be the case. If you review my thread on UAS vs waterfall, the UAS tank was fed less and less often and produced more algae that filtered less than the waterfall tank which was fed more and produced much less algae.

Anyone claiming that more algae growth = better filtration is not relying on any evidence or test results that I have seen posted or published.

Banned
    Thanks Mr Flod. Seems this algae growing thingy isn't as simple as its made out to be. I think I will trying a version of it soon. Not sure how to put photos up though so hopefully you can help me out with that also!

Administrator
    GHA grows best with low nutrients. Dark or black growth contains nutrients too, but shades the attachment surface, causing die-off. In the ocean the dark or black stuff would just grow sideways to reach new area, but in a scrubber it can't. So in a scrubber you have to make up for it with more frequent cleanings.

GHA allows light to go through it to keep the roots alive. Which keeps the filter attached.

Banned
    Still does not account for the fact that there does not appear to be a connection between growth volume/mass and filtration effectiveness

Administrator
    Unless algae are using particles from outer space, then if they grow more they must consume more.

Banned
    That might ring true if we were talking a small margin here in the 2 cases I mention, but it was like 4x the mass and was less effective. So before I would feel comfortable drawing the conclusion that X weight harvested = Y quantity of nitrate/phosphate/etc, I'm going to go with "we don't know"

Banned
    Perhaps one type of algae contains more water, than another type. So although the growth may be more, the algae goodness taken from the water to grow to that size could actually be less.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information