+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Growth pics

Growth pics

After some time having difficulty growing a bright green algae, I removed the diffuser from in front of the screen. This is the result. Is this coralline or cyano? My tank is overridden with GHA and cyano and since adding the scrubber about a year ago has been consistently getting worse! What does this indicate and what's the next plan of action?

Administrator
    If that's SW, it looks like weak lights, and having gone too long so that the pods are eating holes.

There are no holes, you may be seeing a reflection of the lights coming off some bubbles on the screen.

This is about 14 days, I believe, without a cleaning.

I have 9 red LEDs on each side of the screen, approximately 4 inches away. On for 10 hours per day on 5x5 screen.

I'm going to try to increase by 2 hours this week and see what happens.

Should I clean this off?

Banned
    Is the red growth underneath the green, or vice versa?

When you scrape the screen, is it red in the holes or green?

The red growth is on top of the green. I actually just scraped the screen clean and there was red on the screen as well. There was green filled in the holes but red on the actual screen material.

Administrator
    Yes the holes are pods eating.

Clean everything off, and up to 20 hours.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Yes the holes are pods eating.

Clean everything off, and up to 20 hours.
    Not the case if the red is growing on top of the green -> there are no holes

Quote Originally Posted by WannaRace View Post
    The red growth is on top of the green. I actually just scraped the screen clean and there was red on the screen as well. There was green filled in the holes but red on the actual screen material.
    Usually though you see a slime coating like this in streaks, not in patches.

Regarding the red on the screen, I think I know what you are referring to - the screen material itself can get stained a pinkish color. This doesn't mean anything AFAIK. As long as you don't see ref turf filling in the screen holes, leave it. When I start to get red turf in the holes, I scrub them out, but I'm careful to only do this to one part of the screen with each cleaning.

Thanks

I will keep an eye on it but I've also increased to 12 hour lighting period in hopes that the algae grows in thicker. I do not want to burn it by going to 20 hours right away.

Banned
    You may find as I did that the slime coating will grow faster under a longer photoperiod though. Just keep an eye on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information