+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AquariCare Algae Scrubber - Need Feedback (video included)

AquariCare Algae Scrubber - Need Feedback (video included)

A few years ago I tried a waterfall scrubber in my wet/dry. I had a difficult time getting sufficient light evenly dispersed and took down the scrubber. I'm having another go at it and have installed a factory made scrubber that I picked up unused a few years back (AquariCare). I've included a video showing the set-up. If you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know.

Thanks!

http://youtu.be/nsvxd2fn4GA

Administrator
    It's just a horizontal river scrubber. Lighting is probably very weak, but since it's included you can just see how it goes.

The insides should probably all be removed, and just use a flat pieces of roughed up canvas. Otherwise lots of food particles are going to get trapped.

Nitrate 100+ and you dont have algae jungles in tank ????
    How this is possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    It's just a horizontal river scrubber. Lighting is probably very weak, but since it's included you can just see how it goes.

The insides should probably all be removed, and just use a flat pieces of roughed up canvas. Otherwise lots of food particles are going to get trapped.
    Thanks for the reply. The water that enters the scrubber passes through an overflow first that has a sponge. This catches most of the particles. I will probably go ahead and just take the acrylic pieces out. They are supposed to help disperse the water but the water flows evenly over the plastic canvas without them. The lighting was not included with the scrubber. I bought two standard 10 gallon fluorescent strip lights to help spread the light evenly. Hoping these lights will work?

kotlec
    Nitrate 100+ and you dont have algae jungles in tank ????
    How this is possible ?

Good question. I've had the tank and puffer since August of 2006. My set-up has always consisted of a wet/dry filter and coralife skimmer. I'm not the best at keeping up with water changes but still change 45 gallons per month. Even when I began frequent water changes my nitrates were showing no indication of dropping. I use a liquid test kit but have also tried the dip strips just to make sure my kit wasn't faulty.

Thanks for the replies.

Administrator
    I think that screen will need at least 100 watts of fluorescent.

Ok, thanks! I will keep this thread updated.

Banned
    I can see why this company's algae scrubbers never became popular. Based on all knowledge I have absorbed about algae scrubbers over the past 3 years, I could write for hours on the downfalls of this particular design. I would say right off, #1 problem is contact with screen. You have almost none. Water is either not enough flow or angle is all wrong, screens are out of the water. I could write a chapter...

Alright, after a long break I'm back. I hooked the scrubber back up for another go. I took a few suggestions with the horizontal scrubber. The lighting was too weak, (2x19watt fluorescent bulbs). I also removed the egg crate. The screens are now completely submerged. I may still raise them depending on my growth results.

After a bit of research I ordered LED's.
    http://www.expressions-ltd.com/Algae...grow-light.htm

The company has a video documenting the growth over a 100+ day period. I may order two more shortly. I'm also considering building a waterfall scrubber.

I'm going to wait to see what results I get with my current setup.

I'm planning on making a new video, documenting my tank over the next several months. That being said, I'm going to wait until I have an effective setup for algae growth. If I continue getting weak growth I'll continue to improve my design until it's ready to rock. Hoping to knock these nitrates out for good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG‎
Views:	302
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	5162   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG‎
Views:	321
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	5163   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg‎
Views:	309
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	5164   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg‎
Views:	306
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	5165   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg‎
Views:	305
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	5166  

Wow, you actually found one of these? I've been looking for years and haven't had any success. If you know anyone wanting to unload one at some point be sure to let us know.

I'm also curiously following your progress to see how it goes. Good luck!

Administrator
    Make sure the water is a thin layer on the screen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information