+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AquariCare Algae Scrubber - Need Feedback (video included)

*Week 8 Update*

Here is my growth after nearly 21 days of not cleaning. I had a decent amount, but still not pleased with the overall growth. I'm going to let the scrubber run until the end of May. If I don't see results I will either bump the light as suggested by Santamonica, or build a waterfall scrubber and use the current 2 LED's and mount them closer to the screen. I did a screen cleaning and will update again next weekend.

Nitrates are still stable at 100-160 ppm.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	week 8 1.jpg‎
Views:	227
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5312   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 8 2.jpg‎
Views:	222
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	5313   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 8 3.jpg‎
Views:	233
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	5314   Click image for larger version

Name:	week 8 4 cleaning copy.jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	5315  

You need to bump up the light now and your screen is not rough enough. Those patches of screen should be full of algae. I would rough up the screen a lot more, bump up the light an hour or two due to the very dark algae, and clean every 14 days because dark algae does not filter as good. Your algae may tend to be a little dark anyway due to the high nitrate.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    You need to bump up the light now and your screen is not rough enough. Those patches of screen should be full of algae. I would rough up the screen a lot more, bump up the light an hour or two due to the very dark algae, and clean every 14 days because dark algae does not filter as good. Your algae may tend to be a little dark anyway due to the high nitrate.
    Thanks for the input. I will bump the lighting from 15 hours to 17 hours.

Before setting this scrubber back up I spent over a half hour with a hole saw roughing up the screen. I'm pretty sure the screen is rough enough, or as rough as it can be with a hole saw. Do you have another suggestion for roughing it up besides the hole saw? My screen began tearing because it was wearing so thin from plastic shavings coming off. I've attached two photos.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 6.38.27 PM.jpg‎
Views:	219
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	5316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 6.38.52 PM.jpg‎
Views:	220
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	5317  

I used a short drywall saw and wrapped the screen over a slightly curved surface (bucket) and worked it with slight pressure. I used a heaven grit sandpaper the break the shine. I am working in a new double layer screen with the back screen slightly offset from the front (my scrubber is a one-sided upflow). The rear screen hole corners are in the center of the front screen holes. Gonna fill in the holes with algae attached to the rear screen.

I use a regular saw which is the one normally use for cutting my PVC pipe. I just lay it down on ply-board and run the saw over it in several directions. That pic you have taken does look fairly rough but i get mine a little more rough if I can. As mentioned above I to have taken a wire brush to it before the saw. The double layer has never worked for me though.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information