+ Reply to Thread

Thread: led bulbs from home depot

led bulbs from home depot

i was walking through the lighting section in home depot and the led bulb caught my eye because they were "cree" brand. i know cree is a respectable brand for the diy led lighting in ATS and was wondering if these bulbs would work because my own freshwater scrubber is still not working even after being set up for 5 months.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-5-...8#.UlIiNhbhsRk

or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-Wa...8#.UlIjPRbhsRk

Administrator
    The floodlights look interesting. Not seen those before. 2700k is about as good as white light will get, and will probably work, although grow lights would be best.

Banned
    These will not work. LED 2700K is not the same as CFL 2700K. CFL is mercury based, then shifted to visible with phosphors. LEDs are element based, and give off a completely different spectral mixture. The Kelvin rating is there for comparison to other forms of house and/or architectural lighting. It means nothing for us, you need bare non-lensed and non-diffused LEDs in the 660nm spectrum for plant/algae growth.

For about the same price you can get a PAR38 bulb with red/green LED's in the proper spectrum or for cheaper a red/green LED floodlight. Lots of them on sale on ebay. Just be careful to pick with correct color. 660nm RED LEDs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information