+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dosing Fe question

Dosing Fe question

I still have bubble algae issues, which I have heard do not seem as iron dependent as many algae are, and my sump algae is now leaning more towards brown then green so I figure its definitely time I start dosing iron. I also have not done a real water change in close to 2 years. Anyone have a recommended amount of iron for scrubbed tanks that dont get water changes, and all nutrient export is via algae growth? I have a fair amount of macro algae and a couple mangroves as well.

RHF seems to advocate putting 27 mg ferrous gluconate (1 fergon tablet) in 20 ml of water and then dosing about 1 ml of that solution a day for a 300 gallon system, but that the exact dosage isnt critical. Do does 1 mg/day sound about right for a 90 gallon scrubbed system? Or should I be dosing more?

I found 8 oz. food grade ferrous gluconate for $14 + $7 shipping: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ShowItemStart=

Does that stuff look ok for iron dosing in a reef tank?

1 oz = 28,349.5 mg, 8 oz = 226,796 mg. So even if I was dosing 2 mg a day, 8 oz should last me over 600 years......

There is very good article on Fe by Randy Holmes. Just google it. All your questions answered.

Administrator
    Brown algae does not mean it needs iron. Bright yellow does.

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    There is very good article on Fe by Randy Holmes. Just google it. All your questions answered.
    I have read them all, thats where I got that guideline, RHF is short for Randy Holmes-Farley. I just wanted to double check and make sure that was the right stuff, and I wanted to know if that dosage is about right in the experience of algae scrubber users. Randy's recommendation was most likely not for someone using only algae based nutrient export for all their filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Brown algae does not mean it needs iron. Bright yellow does.
    I am referring to my sump algae and macro algae looking brownish, but my algae scrubber has never been bright green either, it is usually a faded yellowish brown color. Also since my macro algae and scrubber have not been doing as well lately, I am thinking that the lack of iron may be holding them back from out competing the bubble algae in my display. Either way, this tank has been running for 2 years with no iron supplement added, and a whole lot of algae removed.

I should have mentioned that my tank is a 55 with a 40 sump, so a bit less then 90 total and I feed 1 cube a day. I also have VERY bright display tank LED lighting, and pretty powerful sump lighting as well.

Banned
    What are N, P, K at?

N and P are below measurable levels, I have no way to test potassium.

Administrator
    Things are fine. If you want to watch green grow, dump a handful of powdered zooplankton in. In the following days your scrubber will explode.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Things are fine. If you want to watch green grow, dump a handful of powdered zooplankton in. In the following days your scrubber will explode.
    I know you are a cut and dried kinda guy, and that you give the answer that is most usually correct in your experience, but things are not really fine, if they were I would not have so much algae in my display tank. I am not considering dosing iron just because my scrubber is not bright green, I am considering dosing because I feel my macro algae and scrubber are not out competing my DT algae well enough.

I am also considering dosing Vitamin C in order to make my corals more light tolerant, so I can turn up my DT light, but I dont want my DT lighting any brighter before I get rid of the algae problem I have.

Banned
    I would order the Salifert K (potassium) kit and test that. If you are growing a lot of algae throughout the tank and not doing any PWCs, I bet you dollars to donuts that you are low. Dose Brightwell Potassion-P (powdered) if it is.

=P more test kits..... I guess I will have to wait until I get more money.

I was just thinking that low iron is a common problem in scrubbed reef tanks, and that I could spend $21 and take care of that possible issue for life. I guess I will wait until later if I am going to have to spend upwards of $100 to start diagnosing this issue. I suppose I should just wait until I have some money and buy a new RODI filter set and $60 worth the reef salt and juist start doing some water changes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information