+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dosing Fe question

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    This alone will cause tremendous amounts of nutrients to be added to the water, because you kill the periphyton on the rock, and the sponges etc in the rocks, which then decay slowly over the following month. You should never move rocks, flow, or light.
    That doesnt really work as an answer though. Sure you could say that me tearing apart the display to remove the MASSIVE amount of bubble algae is what caused the bubble algae in the first place..... Well.... No... You cant say that, although it appears you are trying to.

Anyway, I will try to check potassium when I can afford to. Other then Floyd having success without adding iron, does anyone have anything to add on the subject of iron dosing? Any positive or negaive results with dosing and how much you dosed?

Banned
    I've dosed iron (ok, probably not deficient anyway), no change in anything.

Banned
    Whenever I've dosed Kent Iron & Manganese I've never noticed a difference. I've also heard that it is nearly impossible to maintain measurable levels of iron in saltwater

Here are pictures of my tank and the algae I have going on: https://pictures.lytro.com/JoelEspinoza/stories/137534

Banned
    Ohhhh man. You have a Lytro. You just made me Mega jealous

Administrator
    Looks fine to me. Any algae stands will probably go away.

Banned
    Ok now I had a chance to look at all of these on my PC instead of my phone. It was hard to see at first but yeah, you've really got a bubble algae problem still. I see turfs of GHA also but those are less of a worry I think. Besides that, do you have a sort of scummy greyish algae on the rest of the rocks? Hard to tell from the pics. Apparently a lytro suffers from the same problems as other digital cameras under LED light (I assume you are running LEDs at least)...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Looks fine to me. Any algae stands will probably go away.
    Dang, really? Insightful comment. Were you looking at the same pictures I was? Did you remember which thread you were posting to? Wow.

I will try to take some more tonight with less blue. The Lytro is better than my phone by a long shot, but the LEDs still play hell with cameras, and I had just cleaned off the glass, so the water was a bit foggy.

The tufts of hair/turf algae are not a big deal, they dont really grow much and they are pretty much in one small area in my tank, the area that gets sun when I open my curtains, which is probably not a coincidence.

The bubble algae is the severe issue, it completely covers any area that gets any light if left alone long enough. Anything not covered is only that way because I removed it.

if you click on these photobucket has a media options menu on the right where you can download the full size version to zoom in better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information