+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First attempt-welcome feedback

Banned
    You are probably in the diatom/dino stage. 2 days is way too early to tell anything really. But if you are getting long brown stringy algae, that to me sounds like dinos and that is somewhat normal for UAS startup and no it won't spread to the tank.

Administrator
    Sounds good.

Good. So I'm on the right path. Few more days till my first screen cleaning.

how do u recommend i clean it? with a credit card, sponge?

Administrator
    CC is fine.

Banned
    You will not need to use a credit card or scraper to clean the screen for quite a while. Takes a long time for a UAS screen to get to the scraping point. Most of it should come off with your fingernails raked backwards across the screen for several months (and leave whatever is in the holes in place)

Is your screen really rough?

The screen is rough. I scrapped it with a hole saw blade for several minutes.

I think i may try going w a waterfall scrubber. the UAS making a mess in my sump and causing my skimmer fits. Where would you suggest I get the best info on waterfall scrubber? 3/4in piping right?

Quote Originally Posted by cluog633 View Post
    The screen is rough. I scrapped it with a hole saw blade for several minutes.

I think i may try going w a waterfall scrubber. the UAS making a mess in my sump and causing my skimmer fits. Where would you suggest I get the best info on waterfall scrubber? 3/4in piping right?
    The basics of building a waterfall scrubber are contained in the FAQ section of this board.

Is the mess in your sump from spray or what? Not sure how it would cause a skimmer fits either. Please explain in more detail.

thank you. the mess comes from the volume of bubbles coming from underneath the uas.

the uas is the only change i made in the part of the sump. I'm going to play more w it tonight.

Banned
    A few minutes with a hole saw might not quite be enough. I take about 5 minutes per side

I have an update to this video that I haven't recorded, I initially take the "shine" off the screen with a wire brush drill attachment

http://www.lowes.com/pd_445713-48246...r|1&facetInfo=

Works REALLY well.

After the wire brush step, the screen is nice and soft and roughs up quick with less pressure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information