+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questin

Newbie questin

Goodmorning,

I'm Igor and i live in belgium, i have no expierince in the hobby

I am preparing a new tank and i am thinking of using a scrubber as filtration on it.
    The tank wil be a 92 gallon cornertank with a sump, aproximly 13 gallon the overflow wil be a bean animal, i'm thinking About a mixte reeftank with lps and some sps in the future.
    Heer Some questions i'm strugglin with
    1) what would you guys sugest for th type of scrubber
    2) i wil probely start with dead rock mixte with fresh rock,good idea or not
    3) i wil start with real seawater?
    4) i have no idea how much i wil feed sins i'm completly new to the hobby. Ik know that it depends on the fish i put in the tank. So what dimensions would be the best to start with.

Sorry for the bad English,i hope you can make somthing out of it

So i wil answer a few questions myself, read de FAQ newbie.
    I was so bussy Reading other people expierince that i completly overlooked the basics.
    Question 2 is answerd and few others, but the other 3 stil stand
    So feel free to chare youre thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by chauffeurke View Post
    So i wil answer a few questions myself, read de FAQ newbie.
    I was so bussy Reading other people expierince that i completly overlooked the basics.
    Question 2 is answerd and few others, but the other 3 stil stand
    So feel free to chare youre thoughts
    Welcome to the hobby.

For a tank that size I recommend using a waterfall type algae scrubber. The size of the scrubber will depend on how much livestock you put into the tank and how much you feed.

I recommend doing a lot of research before putting the tank together. I also recommend taking the time to set it up correctly and not rush into SPS and LPS corals.

There are a lot of things that you need to get correct.

Banned
    Here is my favorite link of all time for newbies

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

Go to #15 and read. Then follow the advice! This will get you off to an excellent start.

add the scrubber right away, it may or may not grow anything well until you actually have livestock and start feeding, so you can probably run the lights for a shorter period of time.

1) what would you guys sugest for th type of scrubber
    I would use whatever you can easily make work. I prefer waterfall because they are proven to work, but if you cannot make this work, then you can try other designs. A 92 Corner Bow is a neat tank but sometimes can be tricky to work with

2) i wil probely start with dead rock mixte with fresh rock,good idea or not
    Great idea. You might want to "cook" the dry/dead rock before adding it to the tank. This will save you headaches down the road

3) i wil start with real seawater?
    If you have a source of clean, filtered ocean water, yes. Generally this means going 10+ miles off the coast and gathering it, then filtering it for aquarium use. You may be able to find a service that does this for the aquarium hobby.

4) i have no idea how much i wil feed sins i'm completly new to the hobby. Ik know that it depends on the fish i put in the tank. So what dimensions would be the best to start with.
    IMO, the 2 cube/day scrubber is a great place to start. With a 92g tank, this should work well for you for at least a year or two. Over that time, you may discover that you want a larger scrubber, or you may find that a scrubber in combination with a few other filtration components like a skimmer, biopellets, etc, is the way to go. I feel that the Algae Scrubber is a great tool to have in your tool box, and when used in combination with other filtration components, the result is a very robust system. You can use smaller models of everything, then each device contributes a portion of the overall filtration, and you have a very well balanced system.

I hope this translates well enough for you to understand. Welcome to the hobby!

Administrator
    Welcome.

Artificial salt water will be fine. All you need is rock, sand, and your scrubber. Add one fish, or one coral, at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by rleahaines View Post
    Welcome to the hobby.

For a tank that size I recommend using a waterfall type algae scrubber. The size of the scrubber will depend on how much livestock you put into the tank and how much you feed.

I recommend doing a lot of research before putting the tank together. I also recommend taking the time to set it up correctly and not rush into SPS and LPS corals.

There are a lot of things that you need to get correct.
    Thanks for the reply
    I my self was also thinking About the waterfall type.
    Research is the onlything i'm doing right now
    The sps and lp's is just to point out where i want to go in th future
    Grtz

Hi floyd
    Thanks for the link
    Coocking rock does it mean with booiling water?
    Is it beter to go 2 1cube scrubbers or just 1 2 cube scrubber?
    I am going to try scrubber only but my goal is an easy maintenace balanced system
    Reading and understanding English is no problem, just writhing without autocorrect is not so easy
    Grtz

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome.

Artificial salt water will be fine. All you need is rock, sand, and your scrubber. Add one fish, or one coral, at a time.
    Thanks
    The real seawater is just a thought because somewone in belgium made bussenis of it,and unitil now i do not read any negatif comments about it
    Grtz

Banned
    Coocking rock does it mean with booiling water?
    No, 'cooking' rock is a term given to describe a process that prepares the rock to be placed in the tank. You soak it in a bin of saltwater with a power head for several months and allow bacteria to populate it and consume all the dead matter. Look it up, you will find this process described in more detail online. Google things like "live rock curing" or "cooking live rock"

Is it beter to go 2 1cube scrubbers or just 1 2 cube scrubber?
    With that small of a scrubber, I do not think I would go with multiple scrubbers. Really not necessary to have multiple units right off the bat, but you could if you really wanted to.

Thanks
    The real seawater is just a thought because somewone in belgium made bussenis of it,and unitil now i do not read any negatif comments about it
    Grtz
    Then he must be good at it! All comes down to convenience and cost I guess

Thanks again Floyd, i have been Reading About curing rock,and i am thinking to start with only dead cured rock now . This wil save me Some money on the fresh rock sins in need less of it, and i have the time because i just start to prepare the tank and my diy skils are not dat good so i am counting on double the time sombody else needs
    A 2 cube scrubber it wil be.
    The problem with Reading reviews is most of the time you only read of the succes but rarely of the failures ,but i thinking wen the Guy invested in the gear to collect the water and hè is doing it for quit Some time now ,it is mayby worth the risk
    Grtz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information