+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surf type scrubber info

surf type scrubber info

I think I would like to try and build a surf type scrubber(if you don't mind SM) But I would need more info on how the water and air flow through this kind of scrubber. It looks like you could use a food container for the frame and some foam for the float? I just can't. See how you get good water/air flow through such a short container.....

Administrator
    You don't want good water flow; only air. Any plastic box is good. Any closed-cell foam.

Ok but where does the air enter? Where do the drains go? Is there an airstone,or is that substrate full of holes?

Administrator

wow! thanks man!!

how critical is the water level? and on the last picture are the airline tubes connected to the 1/2"(looking) holes? or do the bubbles just naturally enter the holes??

Banned
    Seems that the new Surf4 has a deeper profile of 3 inch. Curious to know the advantage over the 2 inch Surf2.

taller algae strands?

Administrator
    With more air, water level is less critical because bubbles are everywhere. With less air, the water level should be on the rocks to make sure the air/water turbulent interface has an attachment surface.

Holes are 3/8", and the tubes stop 1/8" or so before the hole, and the air natural goes up, sucking up water with it.

The extra inch of depth of the SURF4 provides more bubble removal when there is no growth; when there is growth there is no difference. Actually, another difference might be more room to reach in and grab, without worry about scraping your knuckles on the rock

Administrator
    Taller strands, especially for FW, might be possible too before it gets thick. Once thick in SW, light will be limited to the top 20 mm, and you'll need to stir it up if you want it thicker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information