+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New scrubber for a friend

New scrubber for a friend

So I have been building a couple of new scrubbers, as my friend with the 250 now has a 250 + 200 + 150 sump... Anyways, the screen is 13x22 or so. The lights are not done yet, but they will be LED 660 + 450 as before. New improvements on this model include free standing operation, with two 1.25" drains, a false bottom and the sch 80 slot pipe is installed with a bulkhead fitting glued into the body of the scrubber, with a support bracket holding the other end. It only loses about 1.5" of width in there, but now there will be NO external leaks, the pipe can't move around and become leaky, etc etc. I cut a 1/8" slot with my table saw and then installed two ABS guides. The screen is held in by fishing line through holes drilled in these guides. It's experimental, but I am hoping it will be easier to keep clean than the bare slot. I know using the dark grey pipe will help in that regard as well.

I will put a light blocker of some sort at the bottom to keep algae from growing in the drain area.

Administrator
    Ok let's see it

I guess so, huh? Anyways, I'm going to install it right away so I will try to remember to post on how the slot design works out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04098.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	4906

Name:	DSC04099.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	4905

Name:	DSC04100.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	4903

Name:	DSC04101.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4904

Administrator
    Ah, self standing.

I'll get some pics of the installation on tuesday; he took back all the extra 1.25" fittings so we didn't have the plumbing to install it yet. It had to be free standing b/c his sump is under one of the tanks and there isn't much clearance above. Likewise, the width is based on a combination of space restrictions (it will fit between the two tanks) and not wanting to use more than one piece of mesh or needing a really big pump.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information